february hatch along

Pics
Possible new breed for me? If I can get hubby to build my addition. :D

A friend gave me a few eggs last year (we traded, actually). 4 were Marans eggs. Only 2 hatched, turned out to be one male, one female. I rehomed the male, but kept the female. She finally started laying gorgeous eggs in December, and she was so beautiful! A hawk stole her from me yesterday. :he :barnie :hit So I thought I'd try again with them.

Aw...I'm so sorry you lost her! Your Marans experience sounds like mine. I had 6 Marans eggs to hatch, 5 hatched, all boys but one who was a splash. I gave all of the boys away but the Blue Copper Marans (my profile pic) and of course kept the one splash pullet. She died a couple months ago (from egg peritonitis). That just left me with Zaffer. My sister-in-law has some Black Copper Marans that lay nice dark eggs...I'm thinking about putting them with Zaffer and hatching a few in the fall. If I can get my husband to build my addition! I've shown him the inspiration picture and told him how big I want the additional runs. So, we'll see;)...he has to finish a 1947 Chevy truck he is restoring before he can do anymore chicken coop expansions.

How many Marans eggs did you get?

my chicks are 11 days old and 20 days old, and they are at the stage where they think I am a monster.

LOL...I have 8 -2 week old Easter Eggers pullets downstairs in a brooder and every time I go near them they all run screaming "THE GIANT IS GOING TO GET US! THE GIANT IS GOING TO GET US!" I stand there and wait for them to see that I'm not chasing them, then they stop and all cock their tiny heads and stare at me like...WHAT? That's when I tell them...I'm not a monster coming to gobble you up! All I do is bring you fresh water and food...you little goofballs!

I candle on days 7, 15 and at lockdown. I candle to observer my air cells mostly. Two days can make a difference in the chicks development. On day 13 - Toenails and leg scales form. Day 14-the embryo turns toward the blunt end of the egg and down feathers cover the body. Day 15-down increases. While all of this is happening, your humidity is affecting your air cells. I prefer not to disturb my eggs and have a chance of dropping/damaging them from excess handling. I also find that I can maintain my temp and humidity by not opening the incubator to candle. I made this so that I could add water without opening the incubator. View attachment 1265683

I placed a 2 inch x 2 inch new sponge under the turner directly under the hole in the top of the incubator (it does not affect the turning action). Long story to say, I prefer the hands off method of incubating. Others candle everyday or every few days. Its a personal preference. :)
Thanks

Possible new breed for me? If I can get hubby to build my addition. :D

A friend gave me a few eggs last year (we traded, actually). 4 were Marans eggs. Only 2 hatched, turned out to be one male, one female. I rehomed the male, but kept the female. She finally started laying gorgeous eggs in December, and she was so beautiful! A hawk stole her from me yesterday. :he :barnie :hit So I thought I'd try again with them.
I’m so sorry to hear that good luck with your eggs

Candled our 11 shipped Lavender/Mottled/Porcelain Orpington Eggs on day 14. We noticed one detached air cell before setting them in the incubator, so that one went in a carton for special handling. On day 7 we caught one more wonky air cell, so that one went in the carton as well. Yesterday we had a blood ring in the wonky air cell we initially missed, and also discovered two more with unstable air cells, ugh. So now we have three sitting upright in a carton. We have 10 visible babies, fingers crossed, lock down is Sunday.

5D736B31-7760-4DA6-B3CC-2DE3684F9CD7.jpeg 71FFF980-A6B5-482E-BDA5-BC9BF75DD9AD.jpeg it is day 13 do these air cells look good the humidity is at 52

Aw...I'm so sorry you lost her! Your Marans experience sounds like mine. I had 6 Marans eggs to hatch, 5 hatched, all boys but one who was a splash. I gave all of the boys away but the Blue Copper Marans (my profile pic) and of course kept the one splash pullet. She died a couple months ago (from egg peritonitis). That just left me with Zaffer. My sister-in-law has some Black Copper Marans that lay nice dark eggs...I'm thinking about putting them with Zaffer and hatching a few in the fall. If I can get my husband to build my addition! I've shown him the inspiration picture and told him how big I want the additional runs. So, we'll see;)...he has to finish a 1947 Chevy truck he is restoring before he can do anymore chicken coop expansions.

How many Marans eggs did you get?

Haha, yea sounds like a tune I know!
Not sure how many eggs he will send, probably 18ish. These are coming from a different friend. He has black and starting some blues this year. Beautiful birds.
www.magnoliamarans.com

Candled our 11 shipped Lavender/Mottled/Porcelain Orpington Eggs on day 14. We noticed one detached air cell before setting them in the incubator, so that one went in a carton for special handling. On day 7 we caught one more wonky air cell, so that one went in the carton as well. Yesterday we had a blood ring in the wonky air cell we initially missed, and also discovered two more with unstable air cells, ugh. So now we have three sitting upright in a carton. We have 10 visible babies, fingers crossed, lock down is Sunday.

Exciting! Good luck. :fl

View attachment 1266129 View attachment 1266128 it is day 13 do these air cells look good the humidity is at 52

Look pretty good to me for day 13, from what i can see. :clap

thanks i started with nine in the bator and now i have seven fertile eggs i will go in to lock down on tuesday:celebrate cant wait good luck ever one with your hatch :thumbsup:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom