Febuary hatch a long

Candled 25 Malines eggs on day 7. 3 with blood rings, 6 infertile & 16 jumping embryos! :) Had trouble stabilizing the LG after that. Found temp at 102.2 the next morning & checked an egg for signs of life. Still good! I'll let things be unless things start to smell funky in there. :sick

Just went through the eggs due to hatch next week pulled out a dozen that were either clear or had blood rings :( have about 6 left but a few of those are questionable. We will see how many I get this week have about 20 eggs that are at day 21 tomorrow. The following weeks eggs are looking promising though I will be doing a serious candeling on them on sunday when they will be at day 7.

I h
Candled 25 Malines eggs on day 7. 3 with blood rings, 6 infertile & 16 jumping embryos! :) Had trouble stabilizing the LG after that. Found temp at 102.2 the next morning & checked an egg for signs of life. Still good! I'll let things be unless things start to smell funky in there. :sick
i have a LG still air. Is 102 too high? I read still air 107 is max. I've been trying to keep it at 99.5 but it went up to 103 at one point. I'm only on day 2

Code:
I h
i have a LG still air. Is 102 too high? I read still air 107 is max. I've been trying to keep it at 99.5 but it went up to 103 at one point. I'm only on day 2
Wow! 107? I've never heard or read that. Maybe I'm just having a gray moment. :p All my research & last year's experience, has led me to believe that 102 is maximum temp & I personally don't like it there for extended periods. Ideally, from what I've read, the temps should be in the 100-101 range. The circulated air units run best with slightly lower temps. 99.5-100. I increased humidity from 45% - 52% & I've noticed better stabilization of temps within 99.8-101.5 range.

Wow, just read someone advising to keep it steady at 105, or they'll hatch late. Well then I think perhaps the thermometer being used, hadn't been properly calibrated? Maybe its a geographical thing? I think my eggs would've been cooked at that point. :/ I think any first-timers with this unit should follow the directions that come with the unit & take notes as they go along. This will provide a foundation for future hatches to work from. Thermometers are commonly unreliable with these units too, I've heard. I use a cheap Wal-Mart digital therm/hygrometer inside my unit. A day prior to putting it in, I checked it against our new home digital thermostat w/hygrometer. Not exactly kosher, but I felt confidant it was close enough. I guess we'll see on day 21. :lol:

Last edited:
I h
Wow! 107? I've never heard or read that. Maybe I'm just having a gray moment. :p All my research & last year's experience, has led me to believe that 102 is maximum temp & I personally don't like it there for extended periods. Ideally, from what I've read, the temps should be in the 100-101 range. The circulated air units run best with slightly lower temps. 99.5-100. I increased humidity from 45% - 52% & I've noticed better stabilization of temps within 99.8-101.5 range.

I agree, 104 is the killing temperature. When they hit 104, they start to die, so 107 is really high.

Thanks Pyxis for verifying that. Good to know I'm not losing it yet. ;)

I remember my first time with this LG. I did so much research, I thought my head would explode! :lol: There's a lot of info to sift through. Good hatches are possible with this unit. It just takes some trial & error. What works for one person, may not work for another. Some folks have great success with 70%+ humidity on last 3 days of hatch. If I did that, mine would drown! I'm planning to learn from my last mistake & will keep humidity in the 55-60% range at that time. The very act of chicks beginning to hatch, will immediately increase the humidity.

99-101 is ideal. Higher than 103 is not good. Low temperatures for brief periods of time are okay. Remember a broody hen will get off her nest a couple of times a day. There is a comercially available incubator that actually allows the temperature to drop for a period of time each day.

Many years ago I built an incubator for my daughter's science project. We kept half of the eggs near the light, with a target temp of 101, and the other half of the eggs further from the light, with a target temperature of 99. I put some type of baffle between the two, and had multiple thermometers monitoriing temperature.
The eggs kept at 101 hatched at 20 days and those kept at 99 hatched at 21 days.

Update on my eggs~

Day 8, Of my 17 eggs 3 were not fertile, one looks iffy so I left it Annnnd... I dropped one. It cracked but the membrane is still intact. Sealed it with wax and hpoing for the best. Baby was still squirming around, so I'll check it again in a few days.

Also, I set 12 more.

I have a problem.
jumpy.gif
<3

Back
Top Bottom