Feed for my older pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs.Puff, May 13, 2009.

1. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    None of my local farm stores carry feed especially for chicks in that "in-between" stage. They only have chick starter (always medicated, non-medicated is rarely available) and meat bird feed ("flock raiser") or layer feed. There is nothing with the right protein amount that doesn't also have lots of calcium for laying. I have raised plenty of chicks going from medicated feed up to 6 weeks, then Layer feed after that, but I've heard this can cause kidney problems. I also do not have much way to isolate the feeding of pullets from the adults. My flock is free-range so they do get a large portion of "wild" feed.. My farm & home store says the closest they can come is Purina's meat bird feed. Any suggestions?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In your situation I would feed the flock raiser and offer oyster shell on the side.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Mrs. Puff, I've gone from the starter to Purina MeatBuilder and then on to a layer. But, since they stopped making the MeatBuilder, I've just stayed with their FlockRaiser, continuing even while laying. Oyster shells are given free choice.

The feed store has a non-medicated starter and I can't remember ever using Purina's starter.

I think if you look at the information on the FlockRaiser, you will feel a little more comfortable using it for your layer pullets. You can always give them scratch to lower the protein level of their diets as they "sprint" towards maturity.

Steve

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Thanks a bunch-- I'll get some Flock Raiser then. Sounds like that will have to be their feed. Now if I can figure out how to keep my layers out of it. They can be real hogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by