Feed for my older pullets

Mrs.Puff

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Southern Iowa
None of my local farm stores carry feed especially for chicks in that "in-between" stage. They only have chick starter (always medicated, non-medicated is rarely available) and meat bird feed ("flock raiser") or layer feed. There is nothing with the right protein amount that doesn't also have lots of calcium for laying. I have raised plenty of chicks going from medicated feed up to 6 weeks, then Layer feed after that, but I've heard this can cause kidney problems. I also do not have much way to isolate the feeding of pullets from the adults. My flock is free-range so they do get a large portion of "wild" feed.. My farm & home store says the closest they can come is Purina's meat bird feed. Any suggestions?

Mrs. Puff, I've gone from the starter to Purina MeatBuilder and then on to a layer. But, since they stopped making the MeatBuilder, I've just stayed with their FlockRaiser, continuing even while laying. Oyster shells are given free choice.

The feed store has a non-medicated starter and I can't remember ever using Purina's starter.

I think if you look at the information on the FlockRaiser, you will feel a little more comfortable using it for your layer pullets. You can always give them scratch to lower the protein level of their diets as they "sprint" towards maturity.

Steve

Thanks a bunch-- I'll get some Flock Raiser then. Sounds like that will have to be their feed. Now if I can figure out how to keep my layers out of it. They can be real hogs.

Back
Top Bottom