Feed sack recycling ideas??

This thread sure was inspiring- I just finished another tote bag made from a bird seed sack. The Dog Chow bag was the first one I made, so I learned a few things and made this one differently.

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1578.JPG

Usually I have them straighter than that but it was a tight fit in one corner and I racing against time with rain coming... that never came BTW. I actually opened up a bag to get full coverage of the bags water proof material but it was half an inch too short to cover the span so I just went with 6 bags open end down. can't really see it in the picture but the bottom left is slightly lower than the bottom right so that's why the bags are aligned with the right side over the left side. Kinda late on this post but I said I would show a picture as to how I do it and this the the first time I did this type of roof since the thread opened. Its a temp roof because the bags will decompose in the sun... and it just happens that the drainage ditch for this end of the property is directly south of this tiny coop construction so the bags will be pointed directly at the sun shortening the life of the roof. Eventually I will be able to get free roofing materials and if that is in the distant future I will be replacing the bags often.

After reading this thread we have gone crazy with recycling the feed bags. Wife is making tote bags for customers eggs to be carried in. I have added a roost bar and used bags for the poop hammock to keep em from pooping an the birds below. much better and space efficient than trying to run them out diagonally to keep em from being over one another. Covered a plywood water tank cover with bags to make it easier to wash off poop and shed rainwater and make the cover last longer. made a curtain over the laying boxes to make them more private struggling to keep them from squeezing through the lower roost to lay in the darn poop sand tray. I really like reusing stuff and not just throwing them away.

Back
Top Bottom