feeding Chickens Black pepper

Also, I see I could buy cheaper pepper like that probably but never have because we don't go through it fast enough to not notice the degradation in flavor when cooking. But if being used for animals that wouldn't be an issue. Incidentally, I do see how spice could be used as currency back in the day. We spend lots on garlic powders and such. And food isn't the same without it. Thanks for tip of how to get it cheaper, sometimes those thought don't cross my mind right away and only considering my current source and grade quality.

Update, I just found a stash of 11 eggs from my WLH!
yesss.gif
Finally..... but NO EGGS SONG.
hmm.png

This morning got 4 soft shells on the droppings board, so many of that group are at least trying to get started.
smile.png
There have been a couple every day on the board.

1 mystery green egg was in that stash. Never mind the custom lay boxes that are in a safe location. Guess I might consider electrifying my fence to keep the in since the stash was out front. Crossing fences is NOT safe.
sad.png
Silly girls.

I read the Little House on the Prairie books years ago. I remember Ma gave some chicks black pepper to get rid of any parasites they might have. Folk remedy, I guess. Always wondered if it worked.
The piperine in black pepper is powerfully bioactive. It affects liver metabolism of some medications. It is also something I've started adding along with turmeric and a bit of coconut oil when I scramble some eggs for them, to make the anti-inflammatory curcumin massively more bioavailable!

Pretty sure that what works for us almost certainly also works for them. So, after I gave them the turmeric eggs, the rest started laying again and I assumed it was the turmeric, but sounds like the piperine was doing the job.

Back
Top Bottom