feeding Chickens Black pepper

Also tsiecz I have not given mine pepercorns. I have been popping pop corn and peppering the ever,living, chicken poop out of it. I would say it averages about 5 Tbl of pepper to a bag of popcorn. My question to you is did your girls accually eat the pepper corn?

I gave the girls oatmeal with lots of ground black pepper on Fri. Saturday I got 5 eggs. That had never happened before. Most I would get was 4 but usually 2. And one of my more productive birds is currently brooding a couple eggs in a separate area. So I think a couple of my 6 month olds got jump started! I also noticed a higher rate of water consumption. They are gonna keep getting a peppery breakfast for now!

Make that six! I went out to close down the coop for the night and found another egg! Woohoo
ya.gif

Cayenne pepper, either ground or crushed, (a.k.a. red pepper), jalapenos, ground black peppercorns, and serano peppers are all things I have heard that will keep up or increase egg production. My great grandmother grew chili piquins (what we called turkey peppers) along one fence line for the chickens to eat. Those little dinky things pack a wallop in the heat department and she said that they helped keep the egg production up. I can also remember her making a homemade pepper "soup" type stuff and storing it back for using in the winter time. She'd toss about every type pepper she raised in the garden except the bells into a blender after washing them down and run it on puree til it was just a green goo. She'd give them a 1/2 cup of it in the morning and have a full egg basket in the evening during the winter. She would also give her layer feed a healthy dusting of crushed and ground red pepper every day. She'd buy that stuff in big bottles that resembled quart jars and go through the crushed stuff in a week. Figure roughly 1/2 to a whole cup for 24 birds a day?

And no, the eggs tasted like eggs.

Okay...after seeing this yesterday...this morning I gave one lot....popcorn with black pepper(2 tbsp.) and another lot oatmeal with black pepper, and my lot that is molting I gave cayenne pepper mixed with there pellets. No eggs so far...however I did hear egg cackling today...haven't heard that in a long time so it stood out and I went running to the lots(obviously so loudly it scared the girls) I am going to continue......I will add more pepper tomorrow and see what happens. Look what you started Kentucky girl! This could be an egg laying revolution! I am so excited:ya

I have not had not one egg in several weeks. I was getting anywhere from 3 to 4 dozens a day from my layers (RIR,leghorns,& black sexlinks) all are only 1 year or less. Stay tuned I will post my update.

Last edited:
:oops:So I found out that I have inadvertantly told yall a lie..
hide.gif
the other day I told yall that I had gotten 6 eggs. What I didnt know was that my Mother in law went to the coop at somepoint and got one herself. SO that was a total of 7. I now have had 2 new ones start laying not just the one I thought I had. I know you can
smack.gif
me if you want but I thought it was good news for me anyways.

Back
Top Bottom