Even is the english lines have some minorca inside them, they are pure, because the PURPOSE was to be pure and to have the right balance between showing and producing.

Also, bear in mind that the TERMINAL CROSSES sold to us from the big companies lack many of the qualities to be excellent parent stock. That's why geneticists call them T E R M I N A L crosses. But, you can use them for hatching your own WL for 1-3 generations.

You can achieve feather sexing only if you hatch terminal crosses selected carefully for the feather sexing purpose.

Even is the english lines have some minorca inside them, they are pure, because the PURPOSE was to be pure and to have the right balance between showing and producing.

Also, bear in mind that the TERMINAL CROSSES sold to us from the big companies lack many of the qualities to be excellent parent stock. That's why geneticists call them T E R M I N A L crosses. But, you can use them for hatching your own WL for 1-3 generations.

You can achieve feather sexing only if you hatch terminal crosses selected carefully for the feather sexing purpose.
No need to get so riled up. Nobody is fighting you.
My birds are not terminal, they're still alive over double the expected production lifespan.
I know about feather sexing. It also works for only one generation.

Production white Leghorns can surely be used to breed well past 3 generations of white Leghorns with good management.

In Greece we don't have heritage white leghorns.
Might want to add your country to your profile so it shows under your avatar,
could avoid much confusion and thus make for better discussion.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-27_7-1-20.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/vote-for-the-best-hybrid-layer.1279022/page-4#post-20610264

Above is by far the best post addressing the difference between Greek and American Leghorns and what constitutes as a hybrid.

There is a huge difference between a UTILITY line of the white leghorn breed and a HYBRIDIZED line of the white leghorn breed.

The utility line is bred to lay better than the average white leghorn breed.
It is bred for laying in its natural circle, laying small eggs in the begining.
The utility line doesn't have its size decreased in order to eat less and burn out fast.
The utility line can breed naturally and produce offsprings of the equal value.
The utility line is bred from heritage hobby or professional breeders in the outside environments and can forage much better than a hybridized line and find its protein by foraging. It can also produce better in bad housing conditions.
The utility line will slow down a bit in the winter, but it will be a reliable layer for about 10 years.
Some utility lines can also be used in shows and exhibitions. They won't win the first prize, but they can be a reliable bird for this purpose too.

The hybridized line has its size decreased. It is bred to lay huge eggs even when it is a young pullet. Geneticists want it to eat less, because producers don't want to spend much money on feeding their leghorns. This decreased size leads to low-quality egg shells after the second or third year of lay. The birds burn out. They don't have the qualities to be a good breeding stock. They won't give you healthy offsprings.
You can't use hybridized lines in shows because they are too small.

There is a huge difference between a UTILITY line of the white leghorn breed and a HYBRIDIZED line of the white leghorn breed.

The utility line is bred to lay better than the average white leghorn breed.
It is bred for laying in its natural circle, laying small eggs in the begining.
The utility line doesn't have its size decreased in order to eat less and burn out fast.
The utility line can breed naturally and produce offsprings of the equal value.
The utility line is bred from heritage hobby or professional breeders in the outside environments and can forage much better than a hybridized line and find its protein by foraging. It can also produce better in bad housing conditions.
The utility line will slow down a bit in the winter, but it will be a reliable layer for about 10 years.
Some utility lines can also be used in shows and exhibitions. They won't win the first prize, but they can be a reliable bird for this purpose too.

The hybridized line has its size decreased. It is bred to lay huge eggs even when it is a young pullet. Geneticists want it to eat less, because producers don't want to spend much money on feeding their leghorns. This decreased size leads to low-quality egg shells after the second or third year of lay. The birds burn out. They don't have the qualities to be a good breeding stock. They won't give you healthy offsprings.
You can't use hybridized lines in shows because they are too small.
You came back to quote me from five days ago because you still have your panties in a knot. Whatever.
If you think you're the expert on Leghorns or specifically U.S Leghorns be my guest but know that plenty of other people including @The Moonshiner have extensive knowledge on the breed.
Exhibition lines are not the same as utility lines because they have been bred for exhibition. I have seen plenty of White Leghorns take first place.

You live in Greece. A lot of what you say doesn't apply to the U.S.A.

Back
Top Bottom