Feeding Grandmas Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmas Coop

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Purina-Organic-Starter-Grower-small.png
I started buying this as soon as it hit the shelf. My chickens have always done very well on it. So, now with the start of a new flock of 6 Leghorns they get the Organic starter from day 1.
DSCN1865.JPG

Oyster shell, even with the correct ration of Phosphorus, CaCo3, D3, Manganese and Magnesium in the total diet, won't necessarily help.
Calcium doesn't improve production, it merely replaces the calcium lost in the medullary bone when an egg shell is formed. There really isn't magic in a specific feed. Whether using oyster strong feed or another feed, most

Virtually any brand of feed provides the correct levels of nutrients chickens are known to need based on well over a century of research. Everyone has access to the same research. If we tinker with the feed by overfeeding treats or not providing fresh feed (obtained from the mill date on the bag), we often have problems.

Wonderful points. Yes ,:wee Everyone has access to the same research. :caf
All true. I am sure the readers will find this very helpful. -
I have never given "treats" or scraps,

For many years, I have given Kale a few times a month,
a wonderful complete food.

OK, I get that Kale is a very nutrient dense food, but it isn't a complete food. Where's the protein. Kale is about 4% protein and furthermore, it is devoid of several of the essential amino acids chickens need for growth, feathering, egg production and disease resistance. Chickens have about 12 amino acids that are essential for their nutrition. The complete array of amino acids are one of the primary things that will restrict ovulation. Calcium doesn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom