Fencing thoughts

Familyfarm898

Chirping
Jun 15, 2019
We’re rolling out our 1st mobile coop this week. Second one will be following in the fall. But, we’re debating on the fence to move along with the coop. We have lots of coyotes around here. So, anyone with a lot of coyotes, have you had issues with coyotes jumping your 48” electrified poultry netting? I’m wondering if we should go with a 60”.

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

With E fencing (a great choice btw) the problem is not (ground) predators like coyote coming over, but the hen that insist on jumping over into the waiting mouth of the fox and such. Bait it... so the predators get their first taste of E fencing and watch them tuck tail and RUN!

Four foot fences contain MOST of my chickens. I have had about 3 out of several hundred that would insist on going to the neighbors. I clipped wings because monkey see chicken do and one will teach others their bad habits. When wing clipping wasn't enough to stop a wayward hen (as they are safer IN my property with wings clipped than outside of it with full flight feathers) I re-home them to someone else or the freezer if need be. One of my roosters got a close bilateral clip to keep him in the stag pen. Single sided clip didn't remove enough lift and the off balance was irrelevant.

If cost or moving doesn't stop ya from going taller... when it comes to poultry... it seems as though bigger is almost always better. For what it's worthy though... an animal that only touches the top of the E netting... will feel nothing. They MUST be standing on the ground.

:fl

A41CEAF6-EDEA-4250-84D4-9835E876146F.jpeg

267C7DC4-1FEC-47FC-85C2-5E7330C6AE79.jpeg
This is our first mobile coop, Big Bertha. :)

That's a nice looking coop! Well done! How do you like it so far? Is there anything you would do different?

My husband has some design ideas for our second one. Mainly more roosting bars and better plans for the chicken ladder. But it seems to be working out great. I spotted a mink in my yard last week and was so thankful that this coop is so solid. We also have electric chicken netting around it.

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

With E fencing (a great choice btw) the problem is not (ground) predators like coyote coming over, but the hen that insist on jumping over into the waiting mouth of the fox and such. Bait it... so the predators get their first taste of E fencing and watch them tuck tail and RUN!

Four foot fences contain MOST of my chickens. I have had about 3 out of several hundred that would insist on going to the neighbors. I clipped wings because monkey see chicken do and one will teach others their bad habits. When wing clipping wasn't enough to stop a wayward hen (as they are safer IN my property with wings clipped than outside of it with full flight feathers) I re-home them to someone else or the freezer if need be. One of my roosters got a close bilateral clip to keep him in the stag pen. Single sided clip didn't remove enough lift and the off balance was irrelevant.

If cost or moving doesn't stop ya from going taller... when it comes to poultry... it seems as though bigger is almost always better. For what it's worthy though... an animal that only touches the top of the E netting... will feel nothing. They MUST be standing on the ground.

:fl
X2

And, great looking coop!

But...... is that one tiny window the only ventilation???

X2

And, great looking coop!

But...... is that one tiny window the only ventilation???

There’s a vent under the roof line on the other side. During nice weather I leave the big door open too. They like to stand on the edge and look down.

Back
Top Bottom