Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I've got about 15 laying right now and I usually get about 6-8 eggs one day and 10-12 the next. Six of them just started laying and six more left to start laying. The eggs are stacking up a little bit. I've been giving them away but will start selling them by spring if not sooner.

I was thinking on this just the other day... maybe when it's real cold the egg shoot puckers up from the cold so no eggs, then when it warms up the shoot opens and here they come again! hahahaha Ahhh maybe that temperature and daylight thing has something to do with it. hehe

TW, Willie met his wife in 4th grade while at a Christian camp.  They went to different schools, but always saw each other at camp.  They married a year after high school.  Jace and his wife were high school sweethearts who met on a "fake" date designed to make Jace's  ex girlfriend jealous..  Phil met Ms Kay when she was 14, and they married when she was 16.  Phil went to LA Tech on a football scholarship as a QB, started ahead of Terry Bradshaw, and turned down an offer to go to the NFL.....so he could concentrate on duck hunting....

I believe many times it is better to marry young - before too much can go wrong in life.

There could be a few factors in play.  The winter is a natural slow down time but usually some of your younger stock will still lay through their first winter, especially the BAs....I think that's what you have?  I've heard of folks having egg loss to rats and squirrels in the winter months and they can cart off a good many eggs and store them in their nests and burrows.  To be sure, throwing out some JustOneBite in some safe places near the coop can be a good move. 

A family of fat, brown rats would move next door to the coop in an old outhouse where I lived before and I could place poison in that outhouse without fear of the other animals getting it and it would stop some of my feed and egg loss. 

Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw, though, and you will have an egg drop in the winter months...each year is different and each flock is different.  I have one old bird laying nearly every day, one molting, one hasn't laid since she returned here a year ago and 6 seven month old pullets that are showing no signs at all of laying any time real soon.  Nothing.  Eating but not laying....grrrrr. 

...more reason to shoost squirrels and eat them!

They do seem a tad mismatched. I've been watching this show all day and haven't seen those wives in real clothes once! Always in dresses, make up done up, hair perfect....where's the jeans and actual real lives of these gals? Poor things. Even the kids always look perfect...only the guys are allowed to look like normal, southern folks I guess. Even Miss Kay has make up on all the time...no way! They should inject some realism in their reality show and show them gals messy, dressed down and natural.

I would offer to send hatching eggs from my group, but I had a huge preditor loss about a month ago and have to start from almost scratch. Nava on byc has really nice ones she sells chicks and starts hatching in Feb.
kassaundra ,
sorry to hear of the attack. you will rebuild. ugg. i will look into nava. thank you

I just saw some pics of little chicks eating FF and I realized that I have been starting mine out WAY late (not that I had my chicks since they were tiny but still...4 & 5 weeks would have been PLENTY old enough). Well, when I start to hatch my own I will be able to start them out right
th.gif

I've got about 15 laying right now and I usually get about 6-8 eggs one day and 10-12 the next. Six of them just started laying and six more left to start laying. The eggs are stacking up a little bit. I've been giving them away but will start selling them by spring if not sooner.

I was thinking on this just the other day... maybe when it's real cold the egg shoot puckers up from the cold so no eggs, then when it warms up the shoot opens and here they come again! hahahaha Ahhh maybe that temperature and daylight thing has something to do with it. hehe
I will sometimes give eggs to unfortunate people but I never sell pullet eggs as it would set a bad precedent. I boil the smaller eggs and...you guessed it. Back into the flock. Better business to feed 'em back rather than lower the price, only to jack it back up again. People like consistency.

I will sometimes give eggs to unfortunate people but I never sell pullet eggs as it would set a bad precedent. I boil the smaller eggs and...you guessed it. Back into the flock. Better business to feed 'em back rather than lower the price, only to jack it back up again. People like consistency.
Pullet eggs are good for making pickled eggs.....

Back
Top Bottom