Figuring out how to use this new forum platform

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Gargoyle, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    This is a thread for asking, answering, and tip and tricks for using this new forum platform. We can use this to help guide each other through the newness.

Here's my first question- by default settings, we now have fewer posts per page, so a thread that used to be 15 pages is now around 40 pages. Is this user configurable? Is there somewhere where I can set the number of posts per page?

People have different needs in this- on a mobile platform it's easier to only have a few posts per page, because scrolling is difficult. On a slow internet connection its easier to have perhaps 40 posts per page.

2. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I'd like to know if it's possible to minimize the tags/review list on the right side of page. I went to preferences and changed to full width forum, but nothing changed. REALLY hate that addition. I'll figure out how to navigate, but that's just in the way.

3. Milk Glass Chicky

Milk Glass Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    I click 'preferences' that's above at the start and below at the end in a thread and nothing happens. It doesn't take me to a new page or anything. However when I go to my profile and click on "edit account details" all that stuff shows up. I clicked on 'full width forum' too because I thought it would remove all that stuff on the right side of the page since it's too distracting and makes things look cluttered, kinda makes me feel sort of 'claustrophobic' you might say, but I guess it's already full width since nothing happened. [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You should get a pop-up window listing the preferences that can be edited. If nothing is happening, it might be that your pop-up blocker is preventing it from opening. Try holding down the CTRL key while you click on preferences and that should override the pop-up blocker.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think you have to choose 3 things in your profile to make the posts the width of the page: view forums full width, hide right column in forum threads, and turn off advertising. The last one I think is only available to GFM and PPM.

6. Milk Glass Chicky

Dec 12, 2011

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Milk Glass Chicky

Dec 12, 2011
    Alright, the 'view forums full width' works only when you get past a point on all that stuff to the right side of the page. Is "hide right column" only available to GFM and PPM and that's why I'm not seeing it? Humbug if it is.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Go into your profile and select edit account details. There should be a selection for hide right column.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That isn't one of the options for me. Is that only available for GFM and PPM members?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by