Finally..Cornishx/Buff Orp babies!UPDATE..They are gone! :(

Daddy is a BO...momma is a cornishx hen. I am thinking if they dont grow too fast....I might start my own cross!
wink.png
They are still in the little brooder, and at 3 weeks, they are not growing as fast as the cornishX I bought.
The story is....we bought cornishx for the freezer. Most of them were processed...but the last 3...well..lets just say due to family issues, time, and just life in general, they got a reprieve. They are doing surpriseingly well for thier age. The Cornish were born around March 10th....so they are just over 6 months old...and laying pretty well! I know, they wont last as long as other breeds....but...at this point....I just cant cull them. I think they knew what thier fate was to be, and now when I go in the coop...they waddle over, and lay on my feet...and just look up at me with those big goofy faces. *sigh* They really are sweet birds. So, I will have to see how the babies do, how big they get, and IF the little roo doesn't get too big, I might try crossing him with a BO hen in the spring. ( if he is able) The hen...I will try to breed back to a BO roo. ( if she can) now I am determined to make this happen! LOL

Thanks so much for the information. Please keep up posted on the crossing.... It seems quite interesting, and I for one would like to know the outcome of what the crosses turn out to be like.

Tes

Well....sad day....I went to feed everyone this morning...and the 2 little white babies are gone. No feathers....no blood...no sign of a struggle.
sad.png
Dangit! I seem to be haveing the worst luck lately!

Windy...sure....I just cant believe they are gone...jeesh! I worked SO hard to try and keep them safe. Now my cornish decided...she may not want to lay anymore. UGH! I am going to try again tho. As soon as she starts to lay...but the next babies....will stay in the house till FULL GROWN! I dont care what DH says! LOL Well...maybe...LOL

I can understand that one Deb... LOL.... I'm thinking maybe I should bring the duck in with her eggs until she is done laying and hatching... LOL... NOT... OH MY... could you imagine the smell and the mess.... EWWWWWWW... Good Luck on your next batch... and I really hope that you are succesful!!! They were awfuly beautiful!!!!

Aww that sucks Im sorry! I was just telling my friend how you crossed cornish X. Hope you hatch more.
big_smile.png

Well...I got one egg from the cornish today...so far. I think I will just hang on to it, for a few more days, and see how many I can get by weeks end. I know keeping them that long isnot guarantee of hatchability...but I just HAVE to try again!

Back
Top Bottom