Finished my metal insulated urban run/coop

tommywalnuts

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Ardmore OK
Well for about 3 months my 6 buff orpington pullets have gone from day olds living in an aquarium on top of the fridge to a XL dog carrier in the carport. Using materials from work(I build portable buildings) I made a 5x4x5 tall metal insulated chicken house. No nest boxes yet, but soon.

13169_100_1329.jpg

The run is constructed from 2x2 steel tubing. It is designed to be easily taken apart(We are moving back to the country, hopefully soon). The run door is 1x2 tubing. The run is 5feet tall, 4 feet wide, 8 feet long, covered in chicken wire.

13169_100_1335.jpg

Here a a few of the pullets checking out the new living quarters this morning.

13169_100_1348.jpg

13169_100_1347.jpg

Very nice coop and run. That's very smart, making it easy to take apart. I'm sure you are aware that chicken wire only keeps chickens in, not predators out, and in town, even with your fence, dogs could be a problem. You might want to consider putting 2x4" welded wire over the chicken wire for better security.

I wondered about the wire, thanks for the idea. We have a few coons and possums here in town, but my dogs should keep those at bay for the time being. The dogs don't bother the ckickens(yet, I hope this doesn't change lol). I'll look into the 2x4 wire next week though.

Hunter,

Very nice looking coop and run. I wish I knew somebody who could get me that kind of scrap materials! Question though, how do you get into the coop to harvest the eggs and clean it?

What about ventilation for your Hens? Did you bury wire in the ground under the coop and along the run?

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Chuck

Sorry Im late with a reply; the henhouse has a backdoor for cleanup, eggs, etc. Heres a couple of pics.

13169_100_1326.jpg

Back with door shut

13169_100_1327.jpg

i haven't buried the wire, I am using rocks as a decorative border that will inhibit burrowing into the run. The henhouse has a metal insulated floor.

Anyone else has any questions, please feel free to ask, glad to help.

Hunter,

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how you would get in there and clean it and get the eggs. Just from the pics it is a nice piece of work. I know my brother in law in Michigan works for some company that makes those pre fab vendor units. To bad I'm here in Kentucky.

Any way, again a very nice job overall.

Back
Top Bottom