Finished my metal insulated urban run/coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tommywalnuts, Nov 23, 2008.

1. tommywalnuts

tommywalnuts New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    Ardmore OK
    Well for about 3 months my 6 buff orpington pullets have gone from day olds living in an aquarium on top of the fridge to a XL dog carrier in the carport. Using materials from work(I build portable buildings) I made a 5x4x5 tall metal insulated chicken house. No nest boxes yet, but soon.

[​IMG]

The run is constructed from 2x2 steel tubing. It is designed to be easily taken apart(We are moving back to the country, hopefully soon). The run door is 1x2 tubing. The run is 5feet tall, 4 feet wide, 8 feet long, covered in chicken wire.

[​IMG]

Here a a few of the pullets checking out the new living quarters this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice little coop and run

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Great use of scrap material. (Your chickens are cute too!)

4. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Great job! I am your neigbor to the south, just over the RR Border! [​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Very nice coop and run. That's very smart, making it easy to take apart. I'm sure you are aware that chicken wire only keeps chickens in, not predators out, and in town, even with your fence, dogs could be a problem. You might want to consider putting 2x4" welded wire over the chicken wire for better security.

6. tommywalnuts

tommywalnuts New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    Ardmore OK
    I wondered about the wire, thanks for the idea. We have a few coons and possums here in town, but my dogs should keep those at bay for the time being. The dogs don't bother the ckickens(yet, I hope this doesn't change lol). I'll look into the 2x4 wire next week though.

7. tommywalnuts

tommywalnuts New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    Ardmore OK
    PassthePeace, where are you located? What kinds of poultry are you raising?

8. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Hunter,

Very nice looking coop and run. I wish I knew somebody who could get me that kind of scrap materials! Question though, how do you get into the coop to harvest the eggs and clean it?

What about ventilation for your Hens? Did you bury wire in the ground under the coop and along the run?

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

9. tommywalnuts

tommywalnuts New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    Ardmore OK
    Chuck

Sorry Im late with a reply; the henhouse has a backdoor for cleanup, eggs, etc. Heres a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

Back with door shut

[​IMG]

i haven't buried the wire, I am using rocks as a decorative border that will inhibit burrowing into the run. The henhouse has a metal insulated floor.

Anyone else has any questions, please feel free to ask, glad to help.

10. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Hunter,

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how you would get in there and clean it and get the eggs. Just from the pics it is a nice piece of work. I know my brother in law in Michigan works for some company that makes those pre fab vendor units. To bad I'm here in Kentucky.

Any way, again a very nice job overall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by