First attempt at Hatching. Things I learned.

grizz78

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Tiffin
Well, my first attempt at hatching was a success in my opinion. I managed to hatch 7 of 12 eggs. The last few days seem to take forever. Things that I experienced that I was not aware of;

1. My eggs did not start pipping until late the 22 day. Don't give up on them. As a matter of fact I am giving the other eggs a few more days just in case.

2. It takes a long time for them to hatch once pipping has started. My average was 8 to 9 hours from pip to hatch. Some folks who are experienced in hatching may get theirs to hatch faster.

3. I am not sure weather this helped or not but once they pipped the humidity was only 50%. I am not sure if it was the right thing to do or not but I added 2 wet sponges and got the humidity up to 75% while the hatching was going on.

If any experienced folks have a few tips for me on the next hatch I would appreciate it. I am using a LG 9200. Hand turning with no fan. I do have eggs hatching in a homemade bator that is due in less than 2 weeks.

I will try and add pics later.

I had a hard time not wanting to help them with the hatching. They will do it. They peck awhile then rest.

Sounds like you're a fast learner! I am on my third hatch-this time in a homemade bator. My first hatch I got 2 live chicks and 9 died. I didn't find BYC until day 19, and didn't realize humidity was such an important factor. My second batch I got 3 chicks and 4 died. Again, my fault-one hatched day 20, 2 more day 21, but I opened the bator too many times trying to adjust humidity. This time, I plan to tape it shut!

We opened it up much more than we should have. That is why I added the sponges. My thermometers and glass was getting fogged up.

Congrats! Do you have pics of your new babies?
smile.png

I just finished my first hatch as well, going to add what I learned to your thread in hopes of helping others (please don't think I am hijacking your thread).
1. I didn't candle, I didn't trust my knowledge. After waiting for 9 infertile eggs to hatch + 3 that quit in embryo stage(that's 12), next time I will.
2. I didn't use a hygrometer(sp?) and was unaware that the humidity drops during hatching, I think that is the reason I lost several after pipping and several fully developed in eggs. I am buying one today.
3. I didn't help one that was struggling after zipping until almost to late. I helped, he is fine. I think the struggle was due to a drop in humidity. Next time I will trust my instincts better. I think helping and risking them not making it is better for me than watching them die. at least that is better for me.
4. Cracking open the eggs to see why they didn't make it was not fun, but I learned so much. Next time though I will wait until the end of day 23, I killed one that was still going
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom