My Coop
My Coop
IMG_4551.JPG
IMG_4553.JPG
IMG_4555.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4559.JPG
IMG_4550.JPG
New-ish to chickens. I helped my friend build a new pre-fab coop today. We set it on pavers to keep it off the ground. We have 1/2" hardware cloth to add an apron, but storms kept us from adding it today.

Thoughts on stapling hw cloth to 1x4s and framing around the bottom? Leaving coop freestanding inside the fitted frame? Draping the cloth over the pavers and out into the lawn? (Trying to conserve as much dirt/grass inside run as possible. (So not pushing 11.5" pavers too far inside 79"x44" run).
Varmints here:dogs,cats, snakes, opossums, raccoons, coyotes (BION!), fox, and skunks.

My first comment is gonna be that the coop probably isn't going to hold up for too long, maybe a few years. Those coops aren't made of the best materials and they often start to fall apart pretty quickly.

Secondly, it definitely cannot hold 8 to 10 hens like it says. The run, going by the dimensions listed, is about 22 square feet. That's enough for two birds tops. I can't find dimensions for the inside part but I imagine it's not much bigger than enough space for the two aforementioned birds.

With diggers, you will definitely want a skirt. Either way you're thinking of adding it should be fine. It just needs to cover the ground for two feet away from the coop to keep animals from digging under and in.

Very cute coop but way small for 6 grown hens unless they plan to free range. Where will the food, water & dust bath area be? I have 6 chickens, our coop is 8' x 9' with a 8' x 16' run. I'd only maybe add 2 additional chickens.

As a general rule folks on this site recommend a minimum of 4 sq ft per chicken inside the coop and 10 sq ft inside the run. So that really is a suitable set up for 2 chickens, assuming they're staying in there full time. Please advise your friend not to get any additional chickens unless they can add a lot more space or ample free range time for the chickens. Lack of space can cause health and behavioral issues and that just makes for unhappy chickens and troubled owners.

I would apron under the pavers for a neater look, just make sure to extend the apron well past the border of the pavers to deter predators and pests, as they'll likely try to dig beginning at the edge of the pavers instead of the coop/run.

Stapled hw cloth to separate frame and fitted around bottom of coop. Didn't want to staple to small coop frame. Draped over patio stones because we didn't want to lift the finished coop. Tent stakes from Harbor Freight (10in, $2.99 for 6-pk)

Back
Top Bottom