First time duck owner

My Pekins are the same way. When they were little, they hated when I picked them up, but we’re always happy for treat time. I would give them treats everyday. To this day, they follow me around like crazy wanting treats, but they won’t let me pet them or pick them up. They come right up to me if I have food, sometimes eating right out of my hand. It is a huge no if I try to pet them though.

if you cannot pick them up how do you go about clipping their wings?
To clip my Muscovy's wings I walk behind them into their house and then pick them up or straddle over them you can also wrap in a towel and pull one wing at a time out. Sometimes I wait till they go in for the night then go in and close the door.

Time, love, and tenderness! aka a lot of patience :)

This is Sodapop and Isabella, soda will sometimes sit on my lap if he gets the notion to, but only if he gets jelly of sugar.
JPEG_20181015_121103_8364321213691381367.jpg

The front one and back are imprinted and my daughters - speedy and sugar, middle one is Donella - she will let me pick her up if I catch her and will occasionally eat outta my hand, but she was 2 yo when I got her and farm raised with Isabella- I think Isa is her daughter.
JPEG_20181015_121133_8207808214751430091.jpg

I've had Speedy, Sodapop, and sugar since they were babies - speedy and sugar are a year apart but both were almost a week old - soda was about 2 weeks old when I got him.
Donnella was 2yo and Isabella was a year old - I got them to be Fancy's harem, so he wouldn't overmate speedy.

They all come running to me for protection, and that's what matters.

Last edited:
Another thing...... this shows how little i know about ducks, learning more the longer i have them.

But does everyone's ducks grow at a completely mental and unbelievable amount? Like they are 3 weeks old and they about the same as a 9 week old chicken......... they are huge!!!!!!!!

Is this normal or have i got ducks on steroids?

I guess it is normal, just sharing my amazement at the rate they grow in a long way.... ;):p:cool::idunno cannot believe it, ans neither can anyone that sees them. They all get a big shock when i say that they are 3 weeks old....

From what i have been reading, they have to be around 8 weeks to be out from the brooder with no heat. Is this right? That is similar to chickens, accept chickens at that age are about the same size as the ducks are and the ducks are out growing the brooder rather fast!! MT

Back
Top Bottom