First timer feeling a little anxious

New set up

Attachments

• 15221928218671656355604.jpg
    15221928218671656355604.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 13
Better - just hang the lamp so it shines down, not sideways into the whole brooder. You just want to make one warm spot at the very end of the box, not heat the whole brooder.
The chick is just sleeping.... they can scare you - I always checked to see if I could see them breathing, too, when mine were tiny. Just wait till they start dustbathing and you think they are having seizures! :)
Or sunbathing. :th

Chicks peeping really loudly are usually too cold but can be loud from other stress. Do you have a warmer in your brooder? Chicks cannot regulate their body temperature for the first weeks and need a heat source. You can use a heat lamp if you really have to but a heat plate or 'mother hen pad' would be better. You can read about all of them around the forum!

Welcome to chicken mamahood and :welcome!

Last edited:
What temperature are you brooding at? Loud chirping is generally a sign they are unhappy for some reason.

Where is here? What kind of light (red, clear, 125w, 250w)? Can they move away from the heat lamp (big enough area to move around)? Might be cheeping due the changes in their environment. Good luck!

What side of OR? Wet or dry? Usually the west side is more mild temps, so the 250w could be pretty hot for them - how hot does it feel to your hand at chick level? Are they in a brooder that will protect them from drafts? As long as they are eating/drinking and able to regulate their exposure to heat, then you should be ok. Check them for any “pasty butt” - when poop dries in their feathers and blocks more from coming out- and gently clean it off with warm water (and dry them gently). But it’s a new environment to them. Good luck!

Aww they are so cute. <3 For peace of mind you may want to tape a thermometer in there so you know the temp in their brooder. Feed stores have them for a few bucks. It looks like they don't have much of a temperature gradient in there; they can't really get closer or further away from the heat. Could you possibly put them in a rectangular one with the lamp at one side so they can move away from the heat if they want to? Definitely possible they are upset from all the big changes, don't worry you are a good mama. :) I can tell because you're here asking questions! <3

Most basic chicken raising books cover brooding. Otherwise researching the web can help. There's more information available now than there has been ever before. I used to have to visit my local extension office for information on rearing animals.

Now chicks are sold everywhere. They are often impulse purchases and stores selling them are looking to make money not educate. Like all animals it's best to looking into their care before you get them. If not BYC is a wealth of information and ideas. Most don't mind helping out individuals, and there's lots of articles and ideas here to learn stuff quickly if necessary.
I fully agree - I am just wondering if there is an article/post somewhere here to point people to when questions like this come up? I will look if I find a good one, or just write one myself... I have just been repeating “more space, more space...” recently...

I put them in a way bigger pen but why does this one look like this. It is breathing and I just went in and it's up and playing with the others now ????

Attachments

• 20180327_161644.jpg
    20180327_161644.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom