First week in June?

I candled on the third day and didn't see veining, but most of the eggs showed activity (a red shadow) I candled again last night, day 5 and saw veining in most of the eggs. Two are very porous, and don't look good~1 looks clear and the other too porous to tell. One additional egg might be clear, so out of 15, 3 are questionable at this time. I use an Egg-Lume candler which really lights up the egg, but this batch of BLRW eggs seem thicker/more porous and harder for me to get a clear look at what's going on inside them
idunno.gif
Tomorrow I have another shipment of BLRW eggs arriving
ya.gif
to ad to the already incubating eggs for my first split hatch
jumpy.gif
Fun to read everyones candling results
pop.gif
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

My eggs are due to hatch June 7th!!
celebrate.gif

I got a late start on hatching this year but I got a special order for my first order of the year that wanted 80-100 barnyard cross chicks and 6-8 ducklings.
In my Mix coop I've Got:
Buff Orpington
Black Copper Maran (have 2 hens and love them to death. There eggs are amazing!)
Rhode Island Reds
Black Stars
Red Stars
Black Cochin
Ameraucanas.

And the rooster is an Ameraucana also.
The only breeding pen I am building this year is the Ameraucana pen since I'm gonna have my plate full from work. I am hoping to save up most of the money so that next year I can add another (Maybe 2
fl.gif
) more breeding pens. I am hoping for Black Copper Marans and Maybe Buff Silkies or see if I can get my hand on some Lavender Silkies eggs to hatch out this summer for a pen next year.

Then for ducks I have a pair of Pekins, a pair of Cayuga's, and a pair of Indian Runners (the drake is a nice Lavender color and the hen Black).

Can't wait for the first hatch to come! Then the frenzy is gonna begin!
droolin.gif

I was on a forum from the UK and someone posted this:

"An old country lady told me her mother hatched out hens. She said if the egg is pointed at the end, it's a rooster. If it's more rounded and oval, it's a hen. And she's been right. We have high percentages of hens vs roosters in our incubator. Try it before you knock it, and let me know."

Quote:
I to have heard of this. A friend of mine said thats what her mother told her and when the hens went broody she would check under and would keep the rounder ones under but take out the pointy ones
idunno.gif

So I'll watch my batch in the incubator cause there's a few pointy ones and I don't have anything to do June 7th that I know of so I''ll definetly watch. Maybe put a marker on the leg of one that comes out of a pointy egg?

Yes, if you can do that and I will do the same! This will be a fun experiment!

I have 37 eggs, candled all last night- 16 are questionable, I put an x on them- that seems like a lot of bad eggs? I am wondering if I should switch to the dry incubator method? I have a Genesis 1588 Hova Bator that says put water eggs and plug in- but I wonder if the water is causing issues? Anyone else using a styrofoam incubator? I live in Oregon where it is always humid! I filled up the water when I put the eggs in (today is day 6), checked it night before last and there was a little water left, so I decided to put more water in the next night. When I checked last night the water was gone. Hope I didn't mess things up too bad and lose more eggs!

Quote:
I am also using the genesis 1588 and on day 7 doing the dry incubation method. Last hatch I started out at the recommended 50% humidity, But then I read about the great results people were getting with the dry incubation method, so I started keeping my humidity at 40%. Each time it dropped down to 25% I would add a little water and bring it back up to 40% again. I ended up with a pretty good hatch with shipped eggs. Out of the 18 original eggs, 16 made it to lockdown and 9 hatched. For shipped eggs 50% is a good hatch. With this hatch for some reason I'm having trouble with keeping my humidity at 40%. I am having to add water more often. I am in Northern California and our outside humidity is running around 42%. I don't think your eggs are far enough along to be impacted by the humidity. If they are shipped eggs, then the iffy ones probably just got too shook up to develope. GOOD LUCK with the rest!
hugs.gif

Thanks! My eggs are all shipped from different parts of the country. That may explain it.

When you candle do you leave the lid on and open up every time you get an egg / put it back or do you just leave the lid off and do all the eggs and then put the lid back? I first had the lid off for about 10 minutes, then decided that I better put it back on. It is hard to do this alone!

Last edited:
I just leave mine open - and I'm using the dry method. When ya think about it, a hen gets up off the eggs every once in a while and she just sits on her eggs without worrying about adding water?

What is the dry incubation Method? I've always used a Brinsea to hatch and had my humidity around 50. But now when I add A little water, it spikes to 54 - 56 and then it stays constant at 47 and it's never done that before
barnie.gif
. So I was wondering is it to late to switch to dry incubatin? There only on day 2.

Back
Top Bottom