First week in June?

I have a bunch of Indian Runner duck eggs in my 'bator, 5 due on Memorial Day, 8 due on June 10th, and I just put 7 more in this morning that will be due June 17th! I candled the first two batches this morning when I put the latest batch in, and they're all developing and going strong!
big_smile.png

By the way - I know most people would gasp at the very thought, but I'm in Wisconsin and I dry-incubate all of my duck eggs, and I hatch in egg cartons.
smile.png

This might be a dumb question, but this is my first time. How do I know what the humidity is in the incubator? Is there a guage that I should get to put inside?

Quote:
What color are your runners? I have a blue one and just adore her! She follows me all over the yard, watches my every move in the garden and when its feeding time for the chickens, she runs up to the coop flapping and quacking and lets the chickens know food is on the way...and lately has become the cat's best buddy!! Who would have ever thought a duck and a barn cat hanging out together??

Quote:
Yes, Knowing what your humidity is, is very important!
old.gif
Look at the pictures I posted and you will see the reptile hygrometer, Exo Terra brand that I keep in my incubator. It is very accurate and I got it at my local pet store. Don't buy one of the cheap ones, they aren't as accurate. The one I bought says right on the package "very accurate." If your humidity is too low during incubation your chicks will be too dry and shrink wrap. If the humidity is too high they will drown in the excess fluid. I had chicks drown on my first ever hatch because I used a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer. The humidity in the incubator made the hygrometer go crazy and was giving me a reading 10% higher than what the actual humidity was!
barnie.gif
The next hatch I used my Exo Terra reptile hygrometer and kept the humidity at 40% and all the chicks but one hatched just right
clap.gif
The one that did slightly shrink wrap, was from shipped eggs and her egg started with an over-sized air cell.

Just candled on Day 9 and looks good for 35 out of the 36eggs!!! The questionable is not clear, but does not seem as far along as the others. I'll candle again next week and see whats happening then.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Quote:
I think this is a typo for hygrometer, just in case anyone was searching for one online. IIRC a hydrometer measures specific gravity.

Thanks fratermus!! I posted that after working a 14 hour day...I think my brain was asleep already...lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom