Fish Thread for posting Pictures of our fish, tanks, ponds, and Q & A

Pics
New death and new symptom....

A small gold koi passed away today. He was about 6 inches long. I checked the gills and they were a deep red color. I also checked the gills of the 15 inch koi, but they were too badly stained with methylene to be sure of the color.

A family member mentioned that the koi were jumpy yesterday, but I didn't think anything of it. Today I can hear them jumping. They are overly-active. I added a forth air pump, yet they are still staying towards the surface. They don't look like they're have trouble breathing, they are just staying towards the top of the tank. I'm going to do another large water change...

I haven't found any PP yet, but when I mentioned it to the lady at the local fish store, she advised against it. She told me to keep doing water changes and hope for the best. However, she also advised me not to use Tricide Neo last year. I used it anyways and it saved the lives of many of my koi.

I feel so stupid...

I knew ahead of time that the methlyene blue would kill off the beneficial bacteria. An ammonia spike was inevitable.

I dug through a box of old aquarium stuff an found an old test kit. Ammonia was literally off the charts. As I was testing, I lost another koi. He died in my hands...

I moved the remaining 2 koi to a de-tox tank and began draining the other tank. I changed out 65 of the 75 gallons and the ammonia was still at 2 - 4 ppm.

The tank I moved the koi to had 50% new water and I'm changing out 25% of it hourly until the ammonia reaches a reasonable level.

I'm so mad at myself. I should have been testing. I started with 8 koi in the garage, and now I'm down to 2.
hit.gif

These are some of my fish :) I also have a beta fish! His name is Rickie lol
I took the photo last year... I don't have the guppies, they all died :/.

Last edited:

These are some of my fish
smile.png
I also have a beta fish! His name is Rickie lol
I took the photo last year... I don't have the guppies, they all died
hmm.png
I used to have A LOT of guppies. i saw my two females were pregnant one day and a week later i had a baby net set up. after a couple of months of saving every baby guppy i found, I WAS OVERRUN! and the babies were having babies, I had great grandparent guppies. Eventually enough was enough and i took the baby net out and had to shamefully look the other way whenever I saw a baby. I felt terrible but I couldn't do it anymore. The guppies have since dwindled down to just a couple. I cant have too many fish in my tank anymore. My iridescent shark is 10 inches long, beautiful fish but TOO BIG for me, I need to find someone with a large tank to give him too. Any suggestions?

My iridescent shark is 10 inches long, beautiful fish but TOO BIG for me, I need to find someone with a large tank to give him too. Any suggestions?

Do you have a public aquarium nearby who would take him? Seriously. The iridescent shark, also known as the Pangasius cat, can reach 4 feet long - bigger in the wild - and is an active swimmer. Even a 300 gallon aquarium really isn't big enough for these fish. They really shouldn't be selling these as pets to unsuspecting people. In fact, have you seen "Swai" fillets in your grocery store? Same fish!

I have seen them get HUGE. Unfortunately, no aquarium. Sometimes pet stores will take them, but I have seen how they keep them, at least my tank is ALWAYS beautiful. He is a very well taken care of fish. He was so small and over a few years he has grown soo much. I really would love to see someone who cares, take him. but like you said they need soo much space. Do you know if they can be pond fish? those usually are large.

I used to have A LOT of guppies. i saw my two females were pregnant one day and a week later i had a baby net set up. after a couple of months of saving every baby guppy i found, I WAS OVERRUN! and the babies were having babies, I had great grandparent guppies. Eventually enough was enough and i took the baby net out and had to shamefully look the other way whenever I saw a baby. I felt terrible but I couldn't do it anymore. The guppies have since dwindled down to just a couple. I cant have too many fish in my tank anymore. My iridescent shark is 10 inches long, beautiful fish but TOO BIG for me, I need to find someone with a large tank to give him too. Any suggestions?

When I had community tanks with livebearers, I never separated the babies. I added lots of hiding places and within a couple of months, the guppy population had quadrupled.

I'm not sure about the iridescent shark... I've never owned one before. How big is your tank?

A pond is a good idea, but if they're tropical fish, then they can't be kept outside year round unless you live in a very warm climate.

No, they can't be a pond fish anywhere but in the tropics, unfortunately. They are even worst off with the cold than many other tropicals in that they are scaleless, which makes them very susceptible to diseases when stressed - and cool water will make them stressed way before it is cold enough to outright kill them.

I don't know what to tell you. Well, other than that it may come to a point to where the kindest thing you can do for him is enjoy a couple swai fillets. It is a better fate than have him in a too-small aquarium where he'll get banged up every time he gets spooked or giving him to someone who will keep him in filthy conditions.
sad.png

My very simple, small, 20G-High. You can see my two angelfish (black one on the very far left) and my female deep blue betta. There are also two minnows in there (put there to cycle the tank before the rest was added, but still alive). And for ground-feeders, I have one clown loach, and one clown pleco.

The wood in the bottom front is set up to create dark areas for the loach and pleco, but still be able to see what's in it. Both pieces are natural that came from the woods behind the house. The water ended up fairly acidic, and slightly tinted brown, which is absolutely PERFECT water for the angelfish. All of the plants are fake. There is one random live plant "bulb" which was purchased from Wal-mart, but it's not growing, and probably never will.

Last edited:
I certainly wont be eating him, I am sure i will figure something to do with him. it isn't super "Right Now" My 30 galleon bowed can hold him for a while longer. when the time does come I will find him a home, in the meantime I will just do what I've been doing. Thanks for the info, if I didn't know i might have found him a pond owner that would take him, but now i know better. NO PONDS

Back
Top Bottom