Five Tough Chicks and TWO Amazing Embryos!

Pics
Me too! I'm hoping something doesn't go wrong. :fl
I hope they're healthy with no issues. If they even manage to make it out.
I don't think all the eggs in the hatch basket will hatch.
I hope that's not the 20 hour eggs' fate. :hmm
Waiting this long to not have them hatch would be disappointing.
Of course I wasn't really sure they'd make it this far.

:celebrate UPDATE!: Wow...the moment of truth will soon be upon us! I can't believe it. I moved the 12 hour chicks out of the incubator earlier. I thought I heard a peep...but it was too light to candle.

I just went in to candle the eggs. OMG the one 60 hour eggs is mostly zipped...and it was still in the upper rack...but the zip was on the bottom so I couldn't see it. :barnie

So I put both 60 hour (I see I keep writing 20 hours down) eggs in the basket. The one pipping has a dried out looking membrane...but holy smokes he's pushing the zip apart and I can see it's not stuck. :celebrate...I'm so excited!

20170705_010214.jpg

20170705_010225.jpg

20170705_010303.jpg

20170705_010343.jpg

20170705_010349.jpg

The other egg hasn't pipped yet. It's hard to tell if it's still alive or not. :fl

Update: Two chicks from the 12 hour group hatched. The one zipped yesterday and was still in the egg this morning with the fluff hanging out of he zip...so I pulled the shell apart so he could get out. The second one had pipped (it was in the upper rack) so I put the egg down in the basket. Good thing because he zipped super quick and was out a while ago...lol.

I'll candle the 60 hour eggs tonight. They've got to be close!
This feels like it's taking forever! View attachment 1064774 :th
Pic of the two chicks...and the two 60 hour eggs (on the left) in the upper rack.

View attachment 1064784

:celebrate UPDATE!: Wow...the moment of truth will soon be upon us! I can't believe it. I moved the 12 hour chicks out of the incubator earlier. I thought I heard a peep...but it was too light to candle.

I just went in to candle the eggs. OMG the one 60 hour eggs is mostly zipped...and it was still in the upper rack...but the zip was on the bottom so I couldn't see it. :barnie

So I put both 60 hour (I see I keep writing 20 hours down) eggs in the basket. The one pipping has a dried out looking membrane...but holy smokes he's pushing the zip apart and I can see it's not stuck. :celebrate...I'm so excited!

View attachment 1065280
View attachment 1065281

View attachment 1065282

View attachment 1065283

View attachment 1065284

The other egg hasn't pipped yet. It's hard to tell if it's still alive or not. :fl

:wee

How do I build a Hatcher. The cheaper Hova Bator at my local feed store is less then 50 bucks.
For $50 i would do it, make sure add heat sinks, like bottled sealed water or rocks

Update: Two chicks from the 12 hour group hatched. The one zipped yesterday and was still in the egg this morning with the fluff hanging out of he zip...so I pulled the shell apart so he could get out. The second one had pipped (it was in the upper rack) so I put the egg down in the basket. Good thing because he zipped super quick and was out a while ago...lol.

I'll candle the 60 hour eggs tonight. They've got to be close!
This feels like it's taking forever! View attachment 1064774 :th
Pic of the two chicks...and the two 60 hour eggs (on the left) in the upper rack.

View attachment 1064784

GOOOOOO BABIES!!!!!

Update: The remaining two eggs required a bit of help. The membrane dried during the pipping stage and the chicks were stuck. I needed to wet the membrane with a Q-tip to allow them to finish hatching.

View attachment 1049744

View attachment 1049758

Both chicks are out now. The one chick appears weak...the other appears to be fine.
All five chicks survived 12 hours cold; first being left outside in the sun and wind for the afternoon and then in the house in pails for before adding them to the incubator.

I'm hope this can help other hatchers by showing how incredibly resilient embryos are, even at the point of hatching...if they happen to go cold for a length of time. :)

THANK YOU for posting this! Our hen passed away the night of day 16 of sitting on her eggs and they were without her heat for at least 12 hours. When I candled the next morning we saw some movement so we ran out and bought an emergency incubator and now we are on day 19... hopeful and trying to be optimistic. Losing our hen (my favorite) was a difficult loss... these babies would help with the grief a little. :)

THANK YOU for posting this! Our hen passed away the night of day 16 of sitting on her eggs and they were without her heat for at least 12 hours. When I candled the next morning we saw some movement so we ran out and bought an emergency incubator and now we are on day 19... hopeful and trying to be optimistic. Losing our hen (my favorite) was a difficult loss... these babies would help with the grief a little. :)
Good Luck!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.:hugs
But I'm glad that anything I've posted has helped. :yesss:
And I'm so glad that you were able to save the eggs.

oh my goodness! Best of luck for those eggs. Please keep us posted. Please?! :fl

Back
Top Bottom