Flag at half staff for Whitney Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, she could have. But many famous people donate to charities...their life isn't exactly made heroic by that fact. When you have billions of dollars, to donate millions doesn't hurt much. It can be good PR and keep your name in the papers but it doesn't necessarily make your life honorable. A drug addicted singer isn't quite on the same par as men and women who sacrifice their very lives for their country and their fellow men.

Drug addicts come in all walks of life ~ in this case, a singer who did alot for her community. What's wrong with honoring that?

Her charity is admirable, but not in the same ballpark.

Bono, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, George Clooney and the likes have all done some good things with some of their money, but not the same things as the people we have traditionally honored by putting the flag at half mast. Sorry, but I dont give someone creedence in world politics because they are famous or have money to throw around. Many of the greatest philanthropists are unknown in their time. Unfortunately we now live in an inch deep-mile wide world of information.

Pete

Nothing at all...maybe with a bit in the newspaper or naming the wing of a pediatric ward to which she donated funds. But to place a national or state flag at half mast for her just takes away the honor or significance of the thing when it is normally reserved for those who have actually served their country or state in some self-sacrificing way.

What it says to me is that her financial donations puts her on equal footing as someone who may have sacrificed their life for many and it cheapens that sacrifice.

But...hey, who cares? She was famous, rich and had a God given talent that she wasted with drugs, domestic violence and court appearances. Why not have her honored as a roll model for the youth of the day? Good idea!

Flying the flag at half-mast is not reserved for the military. It was flown at the national level after 9/11; and here in Washington state, last week after the murder of 2 children.

Imp

Imp..

Read your own post.

There is a bit more consequence to the murders of two innocent children... and I hope you regret mentioning the attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

I'm thinking you are fairly young, as a statement like that from anybody over 30 would be shocking.

Pete

Imp..

Read your own post.

There is a bit more consequence to the murders of two innocent children... and I hope you regret mentioning the attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

I'm thinking you are fairly young, as a statement like that from anybody over 30 would be shocking.

Pete

Pete,
Before you make suppositions, and assumptions; you should be aware of the facts. I was young 40 years ago.
Nowhere in my post is an attack on anyone. Either 9/11 victims, murdered children, military, or Whitney Houston.
I simply stated a fact.
If the people in Whitney's home state wish to mourn her passing, I will support that, and not throw stones.
She was a great talent, and an even greater person. The world is a smaller place because of her passing.

Imp

I was young 40 years ago too. This is probably not a good discussion to continue... the accomplishents of Whitney Houston are worth alot of respect and praise, but not in the same ilk as deserves state and/or national flags at half mast.

I respect your opinion, but am sick of our country finding value in such a person's demise. We should be honoring and respecting those who build character in young people. And I'm not religious in any form.

I'll stop here.

Pete

9/11 was a national tragedy, and those people were killed because it was a terrorist attack on America. The flag should have flown at half mast after that, because they died for their country and definitely not by choice,

Whitney Houston may have donated money to charity, and that is admirable, but she did not in any way shape or form sacrifice for her community.

Last edited:
Flying the flag at half-mast is not reserved for the military. It was flown at the national level after 9/11; and here in Washington state, last week after the murder of 2 children.

Imp
Learn something new every day. I did not realize this, so I had to go read about it...

• Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure.
  • In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes when proclaimed by the President, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring citizens who have died, especially government officials and prominent citizens. However, the Flag Code does not exclude any citizen, whether they belong to an organization or not, whether they are recognized very locally or regionally. Examples of deceased citizens that might be honored with by lowering the Flag to half-staff include local religious leaders, youth leaders, honored teachers or sports coaches, local politicians, or a local hero. There need be no authorization from the government for the private sector (non-government) to use the Flag to honor any citizen. It is important to note that the Flag Code is a code, it is intended to provide guidance and is not obligatory. It carries no civil or criminal penalties for "misuse" of the Flag. Individual are not acting illegally when using the Flag according to their own usage. Only on government / public building is the flag code required to be followed.

Read more: http://www.gettysburgflag.com/flyflaghalfmast.php#ixzz1ma5AhoVw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom