Flower gardeners - & another ? for ya, post#12

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Vinca? I bought two hanging baskets of vinca yesterday. Pretty pink flowers. The thing is, I remember it growing in huge bunches around the foundation of my great great aunts house (I lived with her for a spell as a child) and I know we called it something else. I want to say periwinkle, but that's an entirely different plant isn't it?
This drove me to distraction all night last night, so please help me out.
TIA
big_smile.png

Last edited:
There are a bunch of different vincas out there, bot perennial and annual- mine has blue/purple flowers and is very invasive...but I love it when it stays where I put it!! I don't know any other name for it.

There is Vinca Vine, which is the shiny green or variegated leaves with the purple flowers. Then, there is the Vinca/ Madagascar Periwinkle that is the annual flower in white, pink, purple. Is that what you are talking about? They are annuals, but they will reseed. Could you be talking about Phlox? That is really common in the South and grows in big bunches. Not the Creeping Phlox, that is different. What color was it?

I love them both!

Shelly

Quote:
Nope, not phlox. We have some phlox around, but not as much as I'd like. This is a pink flower, sold as a hanging basket. Shiny, darker green leaves. They had white available too, but I like the pink better. The white has pink centers if you look closely.
If I had my way the yard would be planted in phlox and wildflowers with no lawn to mow.

Then it sounds like Madagascar Periwinkle aka Vinca. This is a link to pics: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185/ I am almost positive this is what you are talking about. You can buy it as small plants in the little 6 packs and plant it around your house, or take it out of the baskets and plant it if you want.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom