Flying Toulouse.

Rosebud 18

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
middle Tn
I have 3 toulouse geese and they have decided that they want to fly. They are 18 weeks old. It started about a month ago as fun when they would run and fly a couple of feet off the ground. Now though one of them has decided he/she wants to fly higher and father and will fly over my 6ft fence. Just as soon as he/she hits the ground on the other side of the fence it will run screaming back to the fence and try to get back in. Doesn't realize he/she has to fly back over. I know when it happens because they all will start running along the fence and yelling as loud as they can including the ducks and chickens. They will wake the dead they're so loud. I had to drive him/her back in the first couple of times but now when he/she sees me it will come running to me to open the gate. It doesn't take long for them to settle down. My question is, is this just a faze they are going through and will they settle down or do I need to clip their wings?

Last edited:
Clipping the one wing will put a quick stop to the test flights.

We had one toulouse that coluld fly pretty well, made it at least a half mile down the road once when I was trying to herd her back. A good 20ft in the air. Clip clip, test flight schedule was over.

Good luck

I'd clip their wings if I were you. It will stop them for now, and by the time they are up to full adult weight they probably won't be able to get that far off the ground. That said, though, my three Toulouse are about 1.5 years old now, and the smallest can get up to 4 or 5 feet off the ground for short bursts - I'm just lucky that she only flies up and down my long back garden rather than over the fence! But if you clip them now, they will probably give up trying.

I agree, I'd clip the wings of the renegade. If you keep them clipped for a few months, the bird will get too heavy to be able to clear the fence.

Just clip the wings.
Also, the clear up a common misconception - a fact is that Toulouse cannot fly. This is definately true, but a true toulouse isn't all that cheap or common. The birds you likely have are production "Toulouse". They are definately capable of flight.

I think they are production toulouse. I paid around 65.00 for the 3 as babies which included shipping. I will clip his/her wing the next time they fly out. He/she doesn't go anywhere except run up and down the fence trying to get back in. I don't have to chase them I can go right up them and pick them up anyway. Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom