PouleNoire

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hi all! It's that time of year again! Chick season! Anyway, welcome to FeatherMtnFarms' 2018 Chick thread! I am so excited to chat will you all about the chicks I got this year! Tag along to watch their journey from chick to grown bird and the adventures along the way!

Introduction
So this year we had 0 plans on getting baby chicks, I had prepared myself to see all the cute babies in the stores and NOT get any...I couldn't do it:oops:...we had gone into Tractor supply to pick up some stuff we saw the chicks, I resisted but wanted to see Shipton's chicks as well and when we got into the store my mom and I saw this very new and beautiful breed; Sapphire Gem. They are a new breed developed by a breeder in the Czech Republic and we couldn't resist! But you can't just have two chicks right? So we got two Sapphire Gems, a California white (another breed I had marveled at for some time) and a Dominique!

Meet the Chicks!
IMG_0374.JPG Riya Sapphire Gem
IMG_0494.JPG Opal California White
IMG_0403.JPG Jewel Sapphire Gem
IMG_0396.JPG Also Jewel *Jewel has a unique facial marking on the left side of her face so in some pictures she may show this or the other side, don't confuse her for another bird! lol
IMG_0444.JPG Oreo Dominique

Follow along for updates on the chicks, adventure, LOTS of pictures and overall chickie cuteness!

Thank you! Me too but I had to add the second picture in so people don't mistake the other side of her for another chicken! lol

Thank you! @alexa009! I don't know what breeds you have already but cochins are my favorites all around and I like EE too, I've also got an AMAZING Blue Andalusian and Speckled Sussex!:love These 2 Sapphire Gems are so far pretty sweet too!

Here's some more adorable pictures I took of the babies!:
IMG_0453.JPG Group Pic!
IMG_0524.JPG Jewel
IMG_0358.JPG Riya meeting the camera flash for the first time, lol!
IMG_0429.JPG Oreo isn't a fan of photo shoots so this is one of the best I can get haha!

They have all been doing well so far, but as they get older that means more brooder cleaning! Possibility they will move out into the bigger brooder out in the garage if the weather stays warm like this!

Thank you! @alexa009! I don't know what breeds you have already but cochins are my favorites all around and I like EE too, I've also got an AMAZING Blue Andalusian and Speckled Sussex!:love These 2 Sapphire Gems are so far pretty sweet too!
I love Andalusians although I don't own any but they are beautiful chickens, especially sapphire gems! I hear speckled Sussex are more of a quiet gentle breed definitely what I would like to have. I might be considering some these breeds if I order more chicks, the breeds I own are some Plymouth rocks, light brahmas, red sexlinks, black copper marans, an australorp, easter egger, Delaware and a buff orpington.

I have 2 Blue Andalusians and my splash one is one of the most friendliest chickens I have, she'll come right up to you and jump on you because she wants pets, you can pet her for hours! My blue one is a little skittish but still sweet! I can't vouch for the quietness of the Sussex though..my girl is quiet the talker! She'll patrol the perimeter of the chicken yard and squawk louder than any of my other hens, or roosters for that matter! And she'll always sprint to you when you come into the yard.:D

We just got the babies transferred from the small bottom of crate brooder setup to them using the whole bathtub (where they were housed) so we'll see how they do! I don't know about anyone else but one of my favorite parts of them starting to get feathers is seeing their cute little tail feathers sprout!:love

Back
Top Bottom