Foamy Poop

phoenixlady

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2023
My Legbars 3-4 months old keep pooping foamy poop. I have treated 4 days with corrid, garlic and diameatceous earth. Otherwise very active and healthy

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    667.4 KB · Views: 74
Is it possible for you to get a fecal float test done? Some vets will do for you, some will not. It could be normal cecal droppings, those happen about every 10 droppings and are normal. If it's more often than that then other internal parasites are possible, coccidia is just one of them. What is the diet, including treats, sometimes dietary things can affect color and consistency of droppings. I would stop the diatomaceous earth, it can cause respiratory irritation and is not effective for internal parasites. Garlic won't treat them either and too much of it can cause a specific kind of anemia. That they are all acting normally is a good sign.

Is it possible for you to get a fecal float test done? Some vets will do for you, some will not. It could be normal cecal droppings, those happen about every 10 droppings and are normal. If it's more often than that then other internal parasites are possible, coccidia is just one of them. What is the diet, including treats, sometimes dietary things can affect color and consistency of droppings. I would stop the diatomaceous earth, it can cause respiratory irritation and is not effective for internal parasites. Garlic won't treat them either and too much of it can cause a specific kind of anemia. That they are all acting normally is a good sign.

A float test would be difficult. Pretty much one vet 30 min away and them it is a metropolitan area no livestock vets. The other side of me I need to enter USA and I cannot leave Canada with a chicken or a specimen.

Diet is purina non medicated feed. Garlic and I have not given treated recently. I sometimes give oyster shells because they live with an older hen who is closer to laying age. All the poops I see looking more or less like this.
Is there anything at tractor supply that could help. Should I up the corrid.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.png
    IMG_1067.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I would think cecal but literally all their poops are foamy brown or yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
You are in Canada? Tractor Supply stores in the US usually have Safeguard liquid goat wormer, or Safeguard horse paste, which you could use to worm them with, since a fecal isn't possible. It's better to know for sure, but the medications are very unlikely to do any harm if you want to do that, to be sure it's not the issue. If you are in Canada, I think most wormers have to come from a vet there, I could be wrong, but that's my impression based on past threads.

You are in Canada? Tractor Supply stores in the US usually have Safeguard liquid goat wormer, or Safeguard horse paste, which you could use to worm them with, since a fecal isn't possible. It's better to know for sure, but the medications are very unlikely to do any harm if you want to do that, to be sure it's not the issue. If you are in Canada, I think most wormers have to come from a vet there, I could be wrong, but that's my impression based on past threads.
I have access to USA and the vets here are useless for chickens. At least in my area not speaking for the whole province. I imagine there are some great vets literally 20 mins from me but require me crossing a border. I can access the supply store.

Back
Top Bottom