Foamy Poop

I have access to USA and the vets here are useless for chickens. At least in my area not speaking for the whole province. I imagine there are some great vets literally 20 mins from me but require me crossing a border. I can access the supply store.
How do I dose a horse wormer for a chicken. I looked at everything here people rely on homeopathic because the livestock vet stopped treating chickens 🙄

You are in Canada? Tractor Supply stores in the US usually have Safeguard liquid goat wormer, or Safeguard horse paste, which you could use to worm them with, since a fecal isn't possible. It's better to know for sure, but the medications are very unlikely to do any harm if you want to do that, to be sure it's not the issue. If you are in Canada, I think most wormers have to come from a vet there, I could be wrong, but that's my impression based on past threads.
I can get this in Ontario but I am
trying to see I can import because I am
closer to USA

Attachments

• IMG_1194.png
    IMG_1194.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 1
You can use that, or the goat wormer. Get an oral syringe, tractor supply carries usually down to 3 ml ones, most pharmacies carry them if you ask, many feed stores here do also.
The Safeguard dose is .23ml per pound of body weight orally, for 5 days in a row. You can round up to .25 ml for ease of measuring. An inexpensive digital kitchen scale is good for getting a weight, whenever you have a difficult to measure fraction, round up to the next measureable amount, not down. I lock mine in the coop at dark, go out early the next morning before light, take them off the roost one at a time and dose them. For the pastes you can just draw them up, for the goat wormer make sure you shake it up really good first, it settles out. Pull down on the wattles if they have them, or pry the beak open, put the medication in the front of the beak no more than 0.5 ml at a time and let them swallow (to reduce the risk of aspiration if you give too much at once). Repeat until the entire dose is given. Turn them out to the run and do the next, when the coop is empty you are done. If they don't like to be held, wrap them in a towel like a burrito to hold their wings.

Back
Top Bottom