Foot caught in dog crate.

WindingRoad

Crowing
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
I had a chicken with prolapsed vent earlier this year. Wire metal dog crate for isolation. I'd left it in coup. Bird jumped up to get into upper nest box. They can get up into nest box without using crate. Last night I was outside enjoying the Perseids meteor showers when my chickens came squaking out of the coop. I went to see what all the fuss was about. One of my leghorns was kinda laying on top of the crate. I have a navy blue fleece on top of the crate that I used for the prolapsed vent so she wouldn't lay. But I didn't have it covering the whole top of the crate. The bird got her foot caught at the edge where the top is and the door. She had that foot wedged in so tightly she couldn't move at all. I finally got the foot out she jumped down and went into the run. Can't stand on the foot at all. I let her sleep in a nest box. I'm gonna feed and water her right up their in the nest box. Actually, put her a lower box so she doesn't have to jump down. Can I give her a baby aspirin for pain. Or is something else in order. Thanks in advance for your help... Going out now to let them out. Hope she's ok.

How is she doing ? Hopefully it was just a sprain which will resolve on its own.

She is using her wing to get around. Not much movement. But this afternoon she did put some weight on the foot. Just a short hobble. She laid an egg this afternoon. She wasn't drinking or eating. But she finally ate about a 1/4 cup of meal worms. And drank water. She keeps the foot curled up but today I noticed she scraped her leg. Two small areas with scale torn off. I think/know she's in pain. What I am wondering is can I give her a baby aspirin.

She is using her wing to get around. Not much movement. But this afternoon she did put some weight on the foot. Just a short hobble. She laid an egg this afternoon. She wasn't drinking or eating. But she finally ate about a 1/4 cup of meal worms. And drank water. She keeps the foot curled up but today I noticed she scraped her leg. Two small areas with scale torn off. I think/know she's in pain. What I am wondering is can I give her a baby aspirin.

Giving her one baby apirin morning and evening. She sleeps under the roosts. I can't get her to stay in a nest box. I think she laid an egg today and yesterday as I had my 5 usual white eggs from 5 white hens. She is getting around a little bit. I fed her grapes, pellets, scratch, mealworms and he is drinking water. We've been excersizing the leg. Just extending it back a forth. She lets me do that. She's still on putting much weight on it. Probably gonna take awhile to be up and about. I'll just keep making sure she has food and water and watching that she is drinking and eating. Luckily the humidity around here is gone. Still in the 80's but not the oppressive humidity. Coop and run are cool as pretty much shaded all day.

7 days since injury. She is walking slightly on foot. Noted area scraped off upper scaled part of leg. Healing and I think she was picking at outer part of foot and now has scabbed over wound there. No signs of infection. I have put her in smaller coop in run. With food, and waterer. She seemed so lonely in the big coop. She laid an egg last Wednesday and I think she has managed to get into top nest boxes to lay a couple days ago. Now she did not lay yesterday or today. First day in outside coop ( the flock can see her and she them) yesterday no egg and no egg today. She is not eating much. I gave her roasted chicken yesterday and Monday about a half cup. And today I gave her tuna in water. She doesn't drink much either. Food and water right within her reach. She just lays down and will hobble around some. Gave her watermelon and grapes yesterday and today.

Tonight when I picked her up to take into the coop she felt skinny. She wants to roost on the top roost with the LH. But I have taken her down from there as I'm afraid she might be jostled off or when she jumps down in the morning she will injure that foot again. So she still wanted to be on the roost so she jumped up on the lower one. I took her down again and let her sleep under the roost.

I think I need to get her into the bathtub soon as she is getting pretty dirty.

Should I check for an egg? It's been at least 3-4 days without an egg. Can poor food intake cause them to stop laying. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
How is she doing ? Hopefully it was just a sprain which will resolve on its own.
She isn't eating very well. Can hobble some. But has not laid an egg in several days. Since Friday I believe. She feel skinny when I pick her up can poor food intake cause chickens to stop laying? Should I check her vent for an egg.?

Hmm, I had a chicken with a leg sprain that still has a limp now, but get around just fine. While she was healing she didn't eat much either. I could force her to eat meal worms coated in half an aspirin. I just put her beak in a pile of them and she would peck at it. I kept her in a dog crate fro about 2 weeks, then turned her out in my duck pen. Do you feel any heat on any part of her leg, any swelling, how old is she? I would put save-A-chick electroits in her water to help her strength. Keep oyster shell available to her, and see if you can force her to eat some meal worms like I did with my lady. I'm not sure about the egg issue, but how long has it been exactly, does she walk a lot, or run? If you are interested I could tell you how to wrap her foot in vet wrap with some sauve and arnica, some times this helps. I hope she gets better! Lots of love, Avery :hugs

Sorry your hen got hurt. Does she have regular chicken feed available besides the treats you are offering her? If she won't eat it dry, try wetting it a bit. That way she will get the balanced nutrition of the feed as well as some water to keep her hydrated. Hydration and nutrition are very important in the healing process. Can you post pics of her legs and feet? Thanks. Good luck with her.

Hmm, I had a chicken with a leg sprain that still has a limp now, but get around just fine. While she was healing she didn't eat much either. I could force her to eat meal worms coated in half an aspirin. I just put her beak in a pile of them and she would peck at it. I kept her in a dog crate fro about 2 weeks, then turned her out in my duck pen. Do you feel any heat on any part of her leg, any swelling, how old is she? I would put save-A-chick electroits in her water to help her strength. Keep oyster shell available to her, and see if you can force her to eat some meal worms like I did with my lady. I'm not sure about the egg issue, but how long has it been exactly, does she walk a lot, or run? If you are interested I could tell you how to wrap her foot in vet wrap with some sauve and arnica, some times this helps. I hope she gets better! Lots of love, Avery :hugs
[/QUOTE

Thanks,patience has never been one of my virtues. I feel so responsible. I kept telling my self I need to take that dog crate out of here. Well, guess I will give her baby aspirin again. I think she is mad at me for putting her in that small coop but the other birds were pouncing on her and really pecking her bad. I just want to cry. I hate seeing someone in pain or sick. Don't know how I managed to be an RN for 39 years.

Back
Top Bottom