Foot Injury

Pics

jllracer55

Chirping
May 23, 2017
Looking for some advice as to what might be going wrong with this chickens left foot? She is limping from it quite excessively.

Attachments

• 20190209_171020.jpg
    20190209_171020.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 40
Where do you live? Is it cold winter or freezing temps? Any chance of frostbite? It kind of looks like an injury with swelling of the toes, discoloration, and scabbing. Could she have been stepped on or had the foot crushed or injured under something? I would soak the feet in warm Epsom salts daily and apply some antibiotic ointment to the scabby area twice a day.

upload_2019-2-9_18-28-36.jpeg

Where do you live? Is it cold winter or freezing temps? Any chance of frostbite? It kind of looks like an injury with swelling of the toes, discoloration, and scabbing. Could she have been stepped on or had the foot crushed or injured under something? I would soak the feet in warm Epsom salts daily and apply some antibiotic ointment to the scabby area twice a day.

View attachment 1668649
I personally wondered if it was related to the cold. Sorry I thought my profile had location.. but I am in Iowa so yes it has been a very cold winter here.. last week had temps that were feel like down to -50, real temp was somewhere between -10 to -20. But a section of the coop has some insulated walls in it on purpose to help with cold temps, based off of what I saw today it looks like during the day the birds huddle together in this cold area. I was hoping maybe an epson salt soaking would help her, I will try that tomorrow now that I didn't get back to the post until late, and get a picture of the bottom of her foot. sure hope its not frost bite :/ I added wood shavings to the coop trying to help warm the floor.. have no other heat source I can add besides a heat lamp and everyone keeps saying NO NO NO because its such a bad fire hazard.

I don't deal with frostbite issues ever...so I don't know a thing about it.
If it is frostbite would it be bad to Epsom salt soak her?

Back
Top Bottom