Foot Injury

:goodpost: I agree completely!
Even just the warm epsomsalts or saline is good for helping her recover. Daily soaking, or as often as you can manage it, will help. Anything you can do to keep her foot clean and dry too. (Easier said than done, I know!) The neosporin option will collect dirt and debris much easier than the betadine. Soak, dry, betadine dip, air dry, then onto the substrate. If there’s any way to get her onto coarser bedding it would be good.

Can chickens bruise under their scales? I know they can bruise on their muscles and it changes the texture and quality of the meat. Just the colouration seems to be changing, and the dark spots really remind me of bruising...

I’m just coming off a very bad sprain on my ankle, so I’m probably just projecting... but I managed to bruise in places I couldn’t see, and all the way down to the base of my toes, it took me over a week for the swelling to go down enough for my shoe to fit on. Just from a rolled ankle... I really do feel for your girl, foot and ankle pain is awful!
Well I did the soak again tonight and then dried, did the betadine dip and let it air dry, not sure what you are referring to kris when you say substrate? Hope this helps her, she sure did not want to cooperate as well today but she seems like shes moving around on the foot better as shes using it more.

Well I did the soak again tonight and then dried, did the betadine dip and let it air dry, not sure what you are referring to kris when you say substrate? Hope this helps her, she sure did not want to cooperate as well today but she seems like shes moving around on the foot better as shes using it more.

“Substrate”... I’ve been looking at too many reptile websites again! I meant the bedding, flooring, the ground she is on.

Keep up the good work! It’s frustrating when they get uncooperative, but it’s a good sign that she is feeling better. Glad she is doing better, and looking forward to more updates and pictures as she heals.

Well sadly I wont have pictures or updates to post of her anymore:( something attacked our chickens either today or lastnight and she was attacked,killed,and eaten :( so sad to loose my buff girl she was the last buff we had, lost the other one last year.

Well sadly I wont have pictures or updates to post of her anymore:( something attacked our chickens either today or lastnight and she was attacked,killed,and eaten :( so sad to loose my buff girl she was the last buff we had, lost the other one last year.
I'm so sorry to hear that :hugs
Do you have any idea what may have gotten in?

I'm so sorry to hear that :hugs
Do you have any idea what may have gotten in?
As of right now no. it concerns me that it may have been a day time attack but I am not certain as the other chicken that was killed and not eaten to pieces seemed like it was very recent, as they were free ranging.. also have a lot of feathers missing from another one.

As of right now no. it concerns me that it may have been a day time attack but I am not certain as the other chicken that was killed and not eaten to pieces seemed like it was very recent, as they were free ranging.. also have a lot of feathers missing from another one.
Oh dear! Do you have a secure coop for nighttime?
You may want to set some type of traps to see if you catch anything, but it would be good if you knew what was coming around - do you have a game camera?

It appears whatever got the 2 can climb too..trying to post a picture but seems the forum aint letting me. but I found the remains of my buff in a tree. :(

It was secure, but the door broke and has haphazardly been in place trying to muddle through the end of winter, going to attempt a better designed door tonight and resecure the coop tonight by doing so at least I hope so. I also have 2 traps I will be setting to see if we can catch anything. Last year when this happened I caught an opossum but Im not sure if he was the culprit, didn't have any issues after catching him though. I believe they are one that can climb trees too? And no game camera, I wish we had that or even security cameras to see what happened that the jerk got 2 of my favorites, I know the door situation didn't help but still disappointed especially when I probably wont get to replace them this year

Back
Top Bottom