Formerly nice rooster attacked friend....

newTexan2chickens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
I have to admit I don't think Mr. Roo has been out when others have been visiting the farm.... or at least the visitors did not cross paths with him. This weekend a friend was over and we went to the coop while the chickens were free ranging. My roo.... who has never done anything to me or my husband.... attacked her! Do I expect him to do that always? I intervened and ran him off. Did I do the right thing? Will he try and attack me? I hope not as he does a great job protecting the ladies. He is about 1 yr old or so and a BR if that makes a difference.

I have a large SLW Roo ( Mr Roo
smile.png
) and once docile he is now aggressive towards everyone other then me. And even sometimes he will kick me...which usually only happens if I look very different then he is use to. ie: hair up vs. down, shorts and tank vs. dressed up. Weird, but that's how it seems to be.

He goes after my 5 yo daughter, who is now terrified of him, my 2 yo son, who laughs at him and tries to ring his neck LOL. My husband and him have gotten into some comical cage fighting matches.

Anyway...he is just doing his job. One thing you have to remember is never turn your back on him. If you do he sees it as a sign of victory and you will be beneath him.

Good luck!!

Like most animals they become more protective when they reach sexual maturity, which is about a year old for a roo. Watch your back from now on. I purchased a very sweet roo and even brought him to my sons kindergarden class. He was awesome....9 mos. old. By the time he was a year he was running at me and took a good bite out of my little girl. We don't have him anymore.

I tried to convince my friend to stop screaming like a girl and running backwards! I chased him and he ran.... but I also handle 1000# horses on a daily basis and one little old 10 lb rooster is nothing like a ticked off or scared/crazed horse~ LOL!

Quote:
And I think that's all he was trying to do, even if the hens weren't back there. It's still home and he was protecting his grounds. Our one roo won't do anything to our family, but sometimes they'll go after a friend of the kids just because he's not used to them.

Crack N' Egg :

I have a large SLW Roo ( Mr Roo
smile.png
) and once docile he is now aggressive towards everyone other then me. And even sometimes he will kick me...which usually only happens if I look very different then he is use to. ie: hair up vs. down, shorts and tank vs. dressed up. Weird, but that's how it seems to be.

He goes after my 5 yo daughter, who is now terrified of him, my 2 yo son, who laughs at him and tries to ring his neck LOL. My husband and him have gotten into some comical cage fighting matches.

Anyway...he is just doing his job. One thing you have to remember is never turn your back on him. If you do he sees it as a sign of victory and you will be beneath him.

Good luck!!

If/when we have a roo that goes after the kids, they're done for. I won't tolerate that.
sad.png
There are too many nice roos who still know how to protect the ladies (as my current flock roo can attest to).​

This does seem to be a problem once they reach maturity.......they sure can do a 360 as far as behavior! I'm wondering though....your friend wasn't wearing a red or pink shirt was he/she? The color red can make a rooster go nuts! I happen to know this because I wore a red t-shirt to the coop one day and my own rooster jumped me right in the face--luckly I was holding a food dish and knocked him down with it before he actually hit me! And then I realized.....it was the shirt.

I really thought he was already mature... I have had him since May and he breeds every hen in sight every chance he gets!

I don't want to answer any questions about why I was wearing RED Crocs, but I was, and Carl went absolutely NUTS when I stepped off the porch to go let the youngsters out of their coop one morning. (One coop, housing the adult birds, has an auto door, the rest do not.) He ran at me and pecked and squawked and flapped his wings to flog me about the ankles. I was SO startled! But I forged forward.

He backed off, but kept his head down and stayed all puffed up, darting his beak at my feet, not quite connecting and I suddenly thought, "Whoa, my feet are red..." It's warm out, I'm kinda country sorta, so I just slipped out of the Crocs, picked them up and put them on the lawn chair in the run.

All of Carl's attention went to that pair of red Crocs on the white plastic lawn chair. He FLOGGED the Crocs in the chair!

I won't be wearing those at home much, any more.

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

OMG, that is exactly what my rooster did yesterday. I usually wear my brown leather yard shoes out in the chicken area but yesterday I was going to a pool party. I had my sundress on and this very gaudy pair of flip flops on that had fake jewels, sequins. glittery embroidery all over them. I went out to check the waterers before we left and Sid just locks onto those sandals. I mean, his eyes got huge and red and he puffed up, sounded the alarm and stared down those shoes. He didn't know what to do with himself but he had a lock down on those shoes. LOL He thought about attacking them, I'm sure, but he saw me hovering above them yelling at him to quit it so he was indecisive.

Back
Top Bottom