Found Injured Hawk Up-Date

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gracefulspice, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I know a hawk is bad news for my chickens. But this little thing needs help. I found him along the side of the road, cannot fly, I think his wing is broken or damaged. I didn't take a real close look. He's in a pet carrier now. He;s no bigger then pigeon. I'm not sure who to call. I don't have a local wild life conservancy near me. I live in Eastern Pa. I did a web search and ot much luck there either. Any ideas? I know It's illegal for me to keep and mend it. But I feel so bad for him, I just want someone to help.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe your humane society can offer some help? Good luck. With one the size of a pigeon, I doubt it will go after your birds.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Call your state parks, there are wild life officials there that might tell you who to call. Good Luck

4. Gracefulspice

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Doesn't anyone answer their phones anymore? I called a few places and each place I had to leave a message. Guess it's a waiting game now. Thanks for the info.

I too think it's way to small to do any harm to my chickens. I think my chickens would harm it tho. He's still in the carrier in a shed with a towel over it. I gave it water, but not sure if I should try to feed it.

5. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Where in PA are you? I've called the Game Commission before. Also, my vet in Chester county will take injured wildlife.

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    What about the local zoo, if you have one, they may be able to help you.

7. Gracefulspice

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I finally got a call back from Aark Foundation. They are a wild life conservacy. I have to drive this hawk to them. It's going to take an hour to get there. They will care for it and release when it's better. Makes me wonder what I got myself into? At least I know I did right and it will be okay. Thanks for everyones help. I'll see if I can get a picture before I take it tonight. It's very stunning.

8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    You are doing the right thing. Thanks for your time and concern.

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by