Friendliest Chickens

HennyPenny2019

Crowing
Nov 23, 2018
West Virginia
well, I am finally getting close to getting my chickens We move to our new home in May. Only 2.5 acres so I’ll only be getting a few but since they will mainly be pets (with benefits :) My question is this ... ok 2 questions ... since my space is small, should I get a Bantam breed, but more important in my mind, is there some chickens who are considered more “friendly” than others? Can I influence this by handling them a lot when they are chicks? Thanks, This has been a long time coming.

well, I am finally getting close to getting my chickens We move to our new home in May. Only 2.5 acres so I’ll only be getting a few but since they will mainly be pets (with benefits :) My question is this ... ok 2 questions ... since my space is small, should I get a Bantam breed, but more important in my mind, is there some chickens who are considered more “friendly” than others? Can I influence this by handling them a lot when they are chicks? Thanks, This has been a long time coming.
2.5 acres is small??
I have 1.25 acres and will have 24 LF chickens and 3 bantams.
Try raising them this way:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Cochins totally. They are SO fluffy and extremely friendly and docile; if you’re looking for a super friendly, cuddly, sweet chicken that’s also a really good egg layer, orpingtons are great I love mine
Here are my hens (yes my Orpington is very photogenic :) )
5F6D0964-82F6-4818-8B4C-85D0A6192815.jpeg
D894846F-F129-45A7-9B5B-B632D92F1876.jpeg

Speckled Sussex hens are very curious and interactive, love them! Belgian d'Uccles and Easter Eggers, at least some individuals.
Chickens aren't really meant to be 'cuddly' pets; they are prey animals, and know it, and will be happy to hang around underfoot, but not necessarily enjoy handling. Cats and dogs cuddle!
Consider getting several breeds to start, and see who appeals to you.
Bantams are great, and so are the 'big birds', so enjoy.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom