Friendly Starter chickens

Yes, but all meat birds are hybrid crosses so they don't breed true. Real meat birds like Cornish Xs don't forage well at all. Lets be realistic, foraging requires movement and movement requires energy so any movement by meat birds to find food detracts from their ability to pack on the pounds. In fact some broiler/fryers today are processed at only 4 weeks old.

Furthermore eating chicken is in the eye of the diner. I use to always eat all of my game chicken pullets that were not destined to enter my breeding program. That is once they got a little bigger than a quail. A dozen small pullets, some veggies, and a homemade biscuit crust made a killer pie. So you can definitely eat all the Orpington, Legbar or Barnavader crosses you desire as long as you fully cook them. But then again I have a definite love of homemade chicken pie.

Below notice how the broiler/fryer chicken has changed over the years under the influence of selective breeding.
chickens-then-and-now-jpe.1276309

^^not sure how it relates to the op?

After seeing your set up, I would recommend all silkies, all hens. Those are really too small for larger birds, IMO. If you do go with big birds, 2-3 max.

However, you can have quite a bit of fun with the silkies. And there are so many breeds, oh, it is an ongoing decision.

Good luck, get started, and give it a go, it is a fun hobby.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Im in the UK, so it gets cold in the winter but nothing like America in winter.

I think ill go for the silkies then due to the size and they do sound really friendly. Im not looking to eat from them, i wouldnt be able to once i fall in love with them :) I dont mind the size on the eggs either, its the whole experience of chickens, seeing their behaviour and finding the first egg will be magical i think!

I plan to keep them in the metal cage for the time being- we have a defra warning for avian flu in the UK so the birds cant go where wild birds have been until the ban has lifted- they have to be in a covered pen. Am i being too cautious though do you think? is there something similar in america?
anyone in the UK, how are you dealing with it?
Once the ban has been lifted- hopefully soon they will have the run of the full garden- while im out supervising them.

Ill start off with the silkies and dream of having the jersey and orpingtons when i get used to having chickens and have expanded- already planning to add to the flock! This could be addictive!

Thank you for all your great replies. Your a very friendly bunch :) |I cant wait to get involved now.

This is the link for the coop:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PawHut-Woo...&qid=1500716814&sr=8-19&keywords=chicken+coop
the sizes are on one of the pictures.

My in laws bought the coop for my birthday, i didnt know and im really really grateful for it but i think i would have tried to go bigger if i got one myself.

This is my set up:
View attachment 1275919 View attachment 1275921

I originally had the coop in the metal cage but it didnt leave much room really so ive got the front end of the coop in the run and then its netted around it- its not chicken wire its like a strong metal plastic covered wire, smallish holes, not sure whats it called.

Im really excited to get started and after seeing the chickens and holding them im even more excited today.
I really liked the look of the buff orpington, he only has one at the moment, its in a mixed flock but i got to see the parents and they are beautiful.
I think the jersery is probably going to be too big especially along with a orpington but they sound like they could be really tame as well.

I wasnt leaning towards silkies before but after seeing your replies about how friendly they are im torn now- so many great birds to choose from :)

Id rather have birds with a lovely temperament that we can enjoy every day than a reliable layer.
With the silkies, what are the eggs like, being small do they still taste the same? also ive read they go broody alot is that a problem? what extra things do i need i need to do?

what do you think is a reasonable number of chickens for my coop size? i know with the bigger ones its going to be less but i dont want just two in case one dies and its left along.

Again thanks for reading and your help.

(hopefully the pics have added ok)
The eggs are small. We eat them all the time, just so they don't waste.
they do go broody a lot, but you can break them with a small wire cage, or milk crate or something.
---------- All you do is put her in a box where she is exposed to the air on all sides for a few days and that normally breaks them. But they are addicted to being mothers, you will have to do this every now and again. Its not a big deal.

Seeing the mommas with the babies is one of my most favorite thing to see. Its unlike anything ive ever seen. The mommas take more time with them then other animals ive seen. The momma chicken teaches them a lot. Its fun to see them mimick her.

If you let her go broody and hatch one time, you will be hooked, and will want to do it again, and again. (Assuming you have a rooster)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom