Are you going to try to do a mareks resistant flock? I'm unsure how this is done, but I have read about it a bit. I need to do a bit more research.
Cull anyone who gets sick, no babying them, and form a new flock from the survivors. Flock is closed. No vaccinations for Marek's. That's how I'm doing it. Sort of...I already had chicks when I had to put birds down.

Some rabbits seem to have a bit more going for them than others. Not sure if it's the breed or what but people do get attached. My cousin used to have one that was box trained and seemed to respond to his name.

We had one that definitely preferred DH over me...any time I had to refill his food bowl, he'd bite me. I had to wear long leather gloves around that guy. That's not the sort of "personality" I wanted to deal with. :lol:

Our last rabbit litter box trained herself, but the one we have now REFUSES to go in a litter box. It makes me crazy & defies all rabbit logic. They have been indoor pets, would let any stranger pet them & come out when you call their name. The first one we rescued from under my neighbors car. It was someone’s meat rabbit that no one ever claimed. She died of old age last year. We adopted our current one from the humane society. If you wait a few weeks after Easter there should be a lot of bunnies that need homes.

Debby I love asparagus. My favorite is roasted or BBQed with balsamic & oil & some spices. Yum!!!

Our last rabbit litter box trained herself, but the one we have now REFUSES to go in a litter box. It makes me crazy & defies all rabbit logic. They have been indoor pets, would let any stranger pet them & come out when you call their name. The first one we rescued from under my neighbors car. It was someone’s meat rabbit that no one ever claimed. She died of old age last year. We adopted our current one from the humane society. If you wait a few weeks after Easter there should be a lot of bunnies that need homes.

Debby I love asparagus. My favorite is roasted or BBQed with balsamic & oil & some spices. Yum!!!

I didn't know you had rabbits Roomy! You're probably right on about lots being available after Easter. I'll never understand the whole live rabbit or chick thing as a kid's Easter gift.

Haven't tried asparagus on the BBQ, hmmm.

I'm still unsure about a bunny. I have a bunny hutch I used as a brooder in my office. I'm thinking I'd have to keep it inside during the summer meltdown.

There are almost always bunnies available at the shelters here. On Craigslist too for months and months after Easter.

I have an entire menagerie here. Dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, quail, guinea pigs, a rabbit, a turtle & a couple goldfish that the turtle decided not to eat & grew to ginormous proportions.

I live in a tourist destination & all the animals have drastically cut back on the amount of people want to come visit. 🤣

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom