I was surprised seeing that news this morning, she was 71. Apparently she had a "recently discovered cancer"...that's sad to think whatever type it was killed her so soon after they found it.
I agree. I wasn’t really a fan, but it’s still sad. But, we’re all dying the moment we’re created really.

I have a sick chicken, the B was out all night I’m sure because I didn’t see her come out of the coop. She’s walking ok, but has separated herself from the flock and growls at anyone who goes near. I haven’t been able to catch her so I can try to figure out what’s going on. I know that I didn’t lock her out when I closed up last night either, it was well after dark when I shut the pop door. My daughter thinks she was attacked by something, but if so I think that’s a secondary factor and maybe she ate something that made her sick; I have no idea what, although I did her dumb self trying to eat a lemon.

I have a sick chicken, the B was out all night I’m sure because I didn’t see her come out of the coop. She’s walking ok, but has separated herself from the flock and growls at anyone who goes near. I haven’t been able to catch her so I can try to figure out what’s going on. I know that I didn’t lock her out when I closed up last night either, it was well after dark when I shut the pop door. My daughter thinks she was attacked by something, but if so I think that’s a secondary factor and maybe she ate something that made her sick; I have no idea what, although I did her dumb self trying to eat a lemon.
Good luck with her IM. I hope it isn't serious.

Keep us posted IM, hope she'll be ok :fl

I still have no idea what’s wrong with the B. She sleeps outside the coop, refuses to have anything to do with the rest of the flock, growls at anyone who goes near, but she’s moving around just fine and I saw her eat a bit this morning. I wonder if she was dethroned as the queen in favor of Shadow the EE girl. Elvis is obviously favoring Shadow by the look of her. I still think it was the lemon she ate that made her not feel good, but I guess time will tell.

She was broody! We found her on a pile of eggs under some brush in the compost pile. With at least a dozen eggs, including some green ones. No wonder Elvis has been so lovingly attentive to Shadow. I was going to look for eggs over the weekend as I hadn’t found any casually laying around but she’s showing some wear and tear, I knew there was a reason lol. And Elvis has been a bit aggressive lately, although he’s pretty gentle about it so far. When I put B on the roost the chicks were up there, woo hoo!

92B4CAFC-BA0F-437F-840F-1C3F7C39FDA8.jpeg

I’m pretty sure 5/6 of the chicks are cockerels 😔 The white Nn is getting red in the wings and looks like a boy. The fully feathered cockerel has the mahogany and green and white on his body and wings, albeit not as prevalent as an SS, but his head is white; he’s also squeaky :gig He’s trying so hard to crow and Elvis is a huge jerk about it. So only the fully feathered black chick is a pullet, sigh. Stella has ditched them now for the most part and Elvis gives her a good chase every morning, poor girl. I collected eggs today, a couple of days worth, and think we have three laying. Hopefully we’re done with store eggs now!

Back
Top Bottom