Fungus like stuff around vent New Pictures (Pretty Gross)UPDATE

Quote:
I would separate her to protect the other birds from passive spread and to protect her from curious bills picking at the area. Also, if you have a drake and he breeds her right now, he can spread gleet (if that's what it is) to the rest of your girls. I know they don't like being separated, but sometimes they need "tough love." If you give her plenty of tlc, she'll cope.

I put her in her own little pen this morning. I think it is healing because her vent is closing all the way now and before it wasn't and was pulsating (not sure that is the word) opening and closing. It still has some fungus like stuff around it, but it is closed. I think it must irritate her because she is plucking at her feathers around that area. Maybe it itches...from healing... a lot of anti-itch stuff though you wouldn't think it would itch. I need one of those things they put around a dogs neck to keep her from getting to it. : )

You can cut back on some of the burning/itching by using something with lidocaine in it. Hawaiian Tropic Cool Aloe ICE works well. People buy this for sunburns. Add a little bit to the cream mix you are using. The aloe is also good for the irritated skin. Another option would be hemorrhoid cream.

Last edited:
The miracle creme is working!!!! I got the nu stock in the mail today, but I think I will continue with the miracle creme because it is working so well. I was wondering if I should continue the soaks or if I should just put the creme on. Are the soaks preventing it from drying up faster???

I'm so glad it's working! If she were my bird, I'd keep up the soaks until you stop seeing any buildup of crustiness that could prevent the cream from reaching the infection, especially since you are seeing results. My philosophy is "don't mess with success!" More healing vibes comin' your way!
fl.gif

I would even continue the treatment for at least 5 more days after it looks like it is gone. The fungus is most likely still present in the skin after it heals. Extending the treatment should take care of it.

ditto spiritdance and DuckABCs. I would think the soaks make the skin receive and absorb more of the medicine, and just keeping the skin more supple may help slough off the yuck and scabbing, too. And fungal infections - if that's what this is - can hang on and on, so I would keep knocking it back - spores can be left behind even after apparent clearing.

Okay... I will keep the soaks up twice a day. She did lay an egg today, so I would think that is a good sign. The healing has a way to go yet though. Still some of the dark fungus stuff there.

Hi, I'm new to Backyard Chickens and this forum and I've been reading this with interest. I have 4 chickens and have just introduced two ducks. I have found a fungal infection on one of my duck's vents, not sure whether it is a prolapsed vent or just a fungal infection on the outside and it pulsates as it can't go back to normal. have been using the honey technique and apple cider vinegar. Going to order some Nu-Stock cream. However, the miracle cream concerns me, as I have been told that this could poison the others if they start pecking at it or Della if she manages to get at it? Spiritdance, should I be concerned? Tia, how is your duck doing? I just love my little ducks and would hate for them to suffer..... As they are quite new they don't like being picked up that much so it's a shame, but I'm doing my best for her.

This forum is fab .....

For info, my duck isn't oozing any discharge, just got dark scabby stuff on the outside of her vent.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom