Liv's chickens

Songster
Nov 6, 2017
Southern Vermont
A few months back my turkey’s foot seemed swollen and he was constantly pecking at it, causing his foot to bleed. I cleaned it and wrapped it, and he seemed to act normal again, until the wrap fell off a few days later. He continued to peck at it but each time I cleaned it and wrapped it and it would seem to start healing, until he would peck at it again.

But this last time he really pecked at the tissue on his foot and so I cleaned it the best I could and wrapped it again, but with the wet weather it has become quite infected - there is white and black dead tissue and it smells bad. He seems to act normal but I’m worried there not much hope for him.

He’s a pet and I’ve had him for around two years (a bourbon red tom) and I really want him to live, so is there any way that he can still be saved? I’ve attached a photo of the foot right after I started unwrapping it.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Attachments

• A4DBC343-7A53-4257-B874-61A0442C0968.jpeg
    A4DBC343-7A53-4257-B874-61A0442C0968.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 21
  • F5A14D91-6825-4BBC-9365-493A464304FB.jpeg
    F5A14D91-6825-4BBC-9365-493A464304FB.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 20
Is vet care an option? I think debriding the tissue, silvadene/triple antibiotic w/o pain relief and either oral or an antibiotic injection is probably your best bet, but that is most likely a vet visit since you may need light sedation to really do a thorough job and get a good wrap on it. I tend to do all my bumble foot care for my chickens and my vet is relatively hands off, if I think it's necessary he will call in a script for antibiotics, but only if we are fighting it for a long time. One thing I would look into is getting some "vet wrap" or something called coban wrap, it can easily be found on Amazon, I have a bunch for my girls when their feet go bad. It sticks to itself and is much better in bad conditions in regards to letting dirt in. Just don't pull it tight, it can cut off circulation.
He's a gorgeous bird, just stunning. I want him to recover too! I'm sure some of the people on here who are experts can help also. If you look for a vet search for exotics, most of them will see all sorts of poultry. I've seen turkeys being carried into my vet frequently.
@Wyorp Rock, @casportpony, any input? You guys always give incredible advice in the medical areas.

Since there is a bad odor, I agree seeking vet care is best if that's an option.

Kathy (@casportpony ) would know more about which antibiotic and dosing for a Turkey. I don't know about Turkeys but he's beautiful!

Not sure what route she would take on this but daily soaks in Tricide Neo may be a good option. The foot would definitely need to be wrapped and kept dry, so having a dry place for him would be important or at least wrappings changed daily.
I agree with @Allthefloofs that Coban/Vet wrap is great for wrapping the feet. He's a big boy, so if you have help you could make quick work of it all.

I would soak his foot or feet in warm soapy water—either add some Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) or Betadine to the water—daily. Epsoms salts is also a good choice. Follow up with plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. The Tricide Neo for soaking that @Wyorp Rock mentioned can be ordered, and some have written some articles about it being good for bumblefoot infection. He probably has some scaly leg mites along with the injuries and infection. Fish Mox or Cephalexin are good antibiotics that you can get online to treat. Some feed stores have the Fish Mix on shelves. It might be hard to treat him during this freezing cold weather and frostbite can always be a threat.

Is vet care an option? I think debriding the tissue, silvadene/triple antibiotic w/o pain relief and either oral or an antibiotic injection is probably your best bet, but that is most likely a vet visit since you may need light sedation to really do a thorough job and get a good wrap on it. I tend to do all my bumble foot care for my chickens and my vet is relatively hands off, if I think it's necessary he will call in a script for antibiotics, but only if we are fighting it for a long time. One thing I would look into is getting some "vet wrap" or something called coban wrap, it can easily be found on Amazon, I have a bunch for my girls when their feet go bad. It sticks to itself and is much better in bad conditions in regards to letting dirt in. Just don't pull it tight, it can cut off circulation.
He's a gorgeous bird, just stunning. I want him to recover too! I'm sure some of the people on here who are experts can help also. If you look for a vet search for exotics, most of them will see all sorts of poultry. I've seen turkeys being carried into my vet frequently.
@Wyorp Rock, @casportpony, any input? You guys always give incredible advice in the medical areas.

Thank you! Yesterday I soaked his foot in warm water and Epsom salts for about 20 minutes and tried to carefully rub his foot to remove any excess dead skin, and his foot looked a lot better than it had the night before. I put Neosporin on his foot and wrapped it. I’ll work on it again today and try adding some betadine to the water.
9AE529A4-518D-42F8-B2DF-6C7C26070C40.jpeg

Thank you! Yesterday I soaked his foot in warm water and Epsom salts for about 20 minutes and tried to carefully rub his foot to remove any excess dead skin, and his foot looked a lot better than it had the night before. I put Neosporin on his foot and wrapped it. I’ll work on it again today and try adding some betadine to the water. View attachment 2466142
Yeah! It looks so much better! I use betadine a lot when I fix up my ladies bumble foot, it's a good call. I'm glad everyone on here helped you and your handsome guy!

Back
Top Bottom