Garage Coop Questions

Eggcellent8

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
We are using a part of our detached garage for our chicken coop. Still in the building process, will pretty much be like a shed within a shed with an enclosed oudoor run. Going to move the girls in soon, they are about to bust out of the brooder.
smile.png
But I had a few questions before we move them in.

1. We don't park cars in the garage, but we do keep our riding mower in there. Is the occasional exhaust (garage door open) from starting the mower enough to be a possible hazard to the chickens? We have plenty of ventilation with a window to outside and vents in the garage itself.

2. Also, we were wondering what the right bedding choice would be? So far we are between woodchips and sand. Have heard many awesome things about both, leaning towards sand. Would appreciate all opinions.
big_smile.png

3. Would it make any sense to put wood chips that we get free from a local tree service in the run?

Thanks in advance!
wee.gif

Smart and economical to build that way. The fumes won't be an issue, although your lawn equipment will end up with a lot of dust...lol.
For indoor bedding, I'd go with the wood chips/shavings if you're in an area that gets winters, as sand tends to harbor the cold. But for the run, I love sand!! Sand can sit there till the moon falls from the sky and won't get mildew or mold, while chips/shavings, etc. IF WET, will/can. If your area doesn't have a freezing season, then sand would work fine indoors too.

Thank you so much! For now, I think I'll go with sand for the coop because our winters are not very cold. Also, it is very hot in the summer, so sand might be a nice refresher for the girls.
cool.png

Thanks again!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom