cluckkatie

Chirping
Jan 1, 2018
I'm thinking that once my chicks are four weeks, I'll take them out of the brooder and move them into the garage. It gets down to thirty degrees in there. Will it be too much of a drastic temp drop for them? Or do you think I should keep the lamp on in the garage and then eventually taper off? I was thinking of them being in the garage for about three weeks so that at seven weeks, once they are fully feathered, they can move outdoors to where it can get in the mid 20s at nighttime. It seems to me that raising chicks in the wintertime is daunting and I don't want to hurt them. I'm new at this and should I just wait until spring, or does it not matter? I'm very lost and confused thanks for your help!

I would definitely put the lamp too for a week or so. I wish i had a garage i have a carport thats closed on 2 sides and thats where mine go during the day with their lamp and i bring them in at night just because i cant handle the thought of them out in 8 degrees at night... Why i think 28 is better idk. This is my 1st winter and i just got babies at the beginning of December thinking that winter in tx was fine. Ha.

I'm thinking that once my chicks are four weeks, I'll take them out of the brooder and move them into the garage. It gets down to thirty degrees in there. Will it be too much of a drastic temp drop for them? Or do you think I should keep the lamp on in the garage and then eventually taper off? I was thinking of them being in the garage for about three weeks so that at seven weeks, once they are fully feathered, they can move outdoors to where it can get in the mid 20s at nighttime. It seems to me that raising chicks in the wintertime is daunting and I don't want to hurt them. I'm new at this and should I just wait until spring, or does it not matter? I'm very lost and confused thanks for your help!

Hi! New here and wondering how this went for you? We have winter chicks and I was thinking of doing something similar. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom