Gender Ratios Plus Docile Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SugarGroveFarm, Mar 13, 2018.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I've always had great fertility with a single roo over a flock of up to 24 hens. If you have a mixed flock, and there is a particular breed you like in that flock, choose a roo to match. Or you might consider choosing a roo who will give you black or red sex links. My last roo (see avatar) was an EE. I chose him for the pea comb and blue egg genes that he would add to my flock. He produced great black sex links with pea or walnut combs that laid blue, green, or aqua eggs. My current roo is a Buck Eye. I chose that breed b/c of the pea comb, and b/c that breed is not common here in Maine. So, I'm thinking that Buck Eye chicks will sell well. He will also produce lovely little black and red sex linked chicks with pea or walnut combs. There is no way I would ever have the space or inclination to have roos to match all the breeds that make up my flock. Instead, I choose hens that will work with the genetics of the roo.

MotherDucker;) likes this.
  2. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I only wanted a rooster so I could raise my own hens and cull the roosters. I always loved my dads hens but could never be around them because the rooster hated me. He never bothered my dad I don't know if it was because he was a full grown man and I was a teenage girl or what his problem was. I always collected the eggs and he was always fine then one day he tried to flog me and after that I could even go in with him. I had to feed them in their outside pen then collect the eggs while he was outside. Then every rooster after that hated me mostly like you said because they knew I was afraid of them. I don't really care if he acts like a pet or if he loves me, I just want him to be docile enough enough that I can be around the hens whenever I want without having to constantly worry about the rooster

3. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    I'm really interested in Ameracaunas and easter eggers because I like the different colored eggs for myself but I also like golden comets, black sex links, rhode island reds, and barred rocks because where i'm from you have the most luck selling brown eggs because people around here go crazy for farm fresh brown eggs. I also really like the speckled sussex I just think they're so pretty and different looking. don't know if maybe I should get a speckled sussex roo then so I could hatch pure speckled sussex chicks to keep for myself?

4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Crazy when you think about brown eggs vs white egs. Shaking my head over here. But, I know the same happens every where due to the myths of brown vs white eggs.
    I don't think you would want a RIR rooster - as even the females can become aggressive especially to other breeds. As far as having all of these breeds have you thought about how you will keep them separated to keep their lines pure? Or is that not a concern for you?

5. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    I'm not really worried about keeping the lines pure as I'm not really worried about selling chicks just eggs I'll probably keep hens for myself when I need them and cull any roosters I do like the speckled sussex chicken though and might want to keep them pure simply for myself so that I can always have them but I'm not really sure about how they are as roosters

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  6. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    And yeah I know the whole brown vs white egg thing is ridiculous but hey an egg is an egg to me so if people want to buy brown eggs then I'll raise brown egg layers doesn't make a difference to me

Ridgerunner and Soon2BChixMom like this.
  7. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    I have read about the speckled susex and the roosters can be nicer. I have also read orpington roosters are pretty chill. So much so that sometimes the ratio of rooster to hen is lower. Otherwise the job never gets done. :gig
    But, then you are always going to have the ones that don't fit the mold.

8. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Yeah I guess I might be over thinking it since I've had such a bad past with roosters. When I was little my dad had a fighting rooster (for no other purpose other than to simply have him) and he never bothered anyone thank goodness. I just want a roo that will let me enjoy my hens :gig

9. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :welcome

10. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Thank you

4 ever Orpington likes this.