Gender Ratios Plus Docile Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SugarGroveFarm, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Do you know what a good gender ratio is for turkeys and peafowl?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think you've had plenty of discussion on what kind and ratios of roosters, so I'll talk a little bit about temperament. I think some aggression issues are genetic. I think mean roosters can pass that along to their offspring. But I also think you can "condition" them when they're little. When I notice that a chick is a cockerel, I stop handling it immediately. When they're old enough to be out and about, I let them know that I am the boss. If I want to move from one side of the run to another, and a cockerel (no matter the age) is in my way, I walk right through where he is. If they're outside free ranging, I will walk toward them and keep walking until they move out of my way. If one comes toward me, I walk toward him until he backs off or moves away. Move him away from the food when he's eating, just because you can. Meet every challenge with confidence.

I think the important thing is to start before they ever get old enough to go on the offensive themselves. A couple of years ago, I had a buff rock cockerel. He would give me the stink eye now and then, and I would stare him down. He never tried to invade my space, but he'd sometimes follow at a distance. I'd walk toward him and back him off. One day I was "helping" a pullet into the run so I could lock them in for the night. A nudged her with my food, and she made a fuss. That cockerel came running, saw me, gave me the stink eye. As I stared him down, he decided that he had something more important to do on the other side of the run. Sadly, he was killed by a predator while protecting his flock before he could grow up. I would love to have seen what kind of rooster he would have made.

MotherDucker;) likes this.
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I am following this thread.I am rooster110,that was a side account because I forgot my other one,this one the tworoos,but I was able to figure it all out and am back to using this one

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    No sorry I cannot help with that I have never kept either.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Any other questions?

6. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    Yeah I think the roostter my dad had simply attacked me because he had came of age and was getting older and then after that I was scared of roosters and so all the roosters he had after that one passed away knew that I was afraid of them I guess I haven't really been around a rooster since I was probably 15 so the fear probably isn't even there anymore plus I'm sure it will be different raising my own roo from a chick

7. SugarGroveFarm

SugarGroveFarm Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    Ohio
    No I think I'm good. Thank you for all your advice I think the turkeys and peafowl are really the only things I need the info on now. I know that swan pair for life and now I know geese do too so I will only need a pair of the breeds I'm interested in and since now I know the ratio for ducks I know how many of each of them I would need too. I would imagine that turkeys are probably similar to ducks, needing 3 to 4 hen to a tom I'm really not that worried about that anyway since I'm only interested in the Bourbon reds so I only need the one tom anyway I was just curious abou the hens to make sure there were enough hens so that they didn't get over bred and worn down buy the tom the only thing that really just throw me off are the peafowl. I eventually want at least one male of each of the different colors since there the real beauties but i'm not sure how many peacans you would need for 4 or 5 peacocks I might have to post in the peafowl thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: