GIANT growth under hen's wing.

tmlpike

Songster
6 Years
May 16, 2013
Canada
I can't believe I've never noticed this until today. My Plymouth Rock hen named Gem, who is about 2 years old, has a giant growth under her wing. When I picked her up today, I felt something, so I lifted up her wing and was shocked to see what I found. It is a big growth, about the size of a gold ball (maybe a tad smaller). It is not pretty looking. It has a crusty coating on the outside, and when I touched it, it was very hot. The ball is hard. Gem is an extremely healthy hen, who eats VERY well, and lays an egg almost every day. Her feathers are VERY poufy, which is probably why I didn't notice the large lump underneath.
Since Gem is healthy, should I just leave the lump alone?? I don't want to cause any unnesscesarry problems. Is it a tumour? Is it or can it get infected? Will it keep on getting bigger? Any advice on what it is or what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks <3
Sorry the pictures aren't the best

Unfortunately, that's not really an option :( should I just leave it alone? Or do something myself?

As old as she is, I would just leave it alone. It really, really looks like melanoma to me. For comparison, from google:

I do agree that your girl's lump looks like the melanoma picture above, however, what happens in people doesn't necessarily reflect what happens in chickens 100% of the time. Not only that, but the likelihood of a melanoma occurring in a chicken under her wing, a spot where there is no extended exposure to sunlight, is even less likely.

The fact that you say it feels hot to the touch makes me think "Infection" straight away. An infection could cause both the heat, and the swelling. If there is pus underneath (inside the lump) that could cause the crustiness on top also. It is very likely she has just done herself an injury of some kind, got it dirty, and is having trouble clearing it out of her system.

My thoughts are that if a vet visit is not possible (she might benefit from having whatever it is lanced) and you're not up to doing it yourself (it would be a bit yucky, and let's face it - we are not really 100% sure on what it really is) I would tend to leave well enough alone.

You say she is still laying, appears healthy and happy, and is still eating? She's not at death's door then! Maybe a nice warm bath would help her, washing that area gently, and then applying some sort of antiseptic cream to dry out the wound and protect it from further infection.

Keep an eye on her, and make sure none of your other girls (if you have them) start pecking at her. If they do she will need isolation until she heals. As long as she appears healthy though, I would not interfere too much.

Let us know how you get on!

- Krista

X2 on the above info. !!!
thumbsup.gif
The only thing I would add, would be to clip the feathers surrounding the wound, if you haven't already, to help keep it cleaner and be sure not to use any antibacterial ointment containing a 'pain reliever'. Those can be toxic to chickens. Good luck and keep us informed on how she's doing.

Thank you all very much. I think that I will leave her alone, as I don't want to make things worse. I could give her a bath. But without opening the lump up, how would I be able to clean it if the infection is on the inside? The word infection scares me. I just hope it doesn't spread or get worse. I am glad that Gem seems perfectly healthy otherwise. Thanks again!

If it is indeed an infection, your chicken may fight it off herself. It's much like if you scraped your knee and it got infected: You would keep it clean, apply antiseptic, and gradually it would heal itself in time.

If it is something more 'sinister' there is probably not much that can be done for her anyway, particularly as a vet visit isn't possible.

As long as her quality of life is good I wouldn't worry too much. Just go one step at a time with her.

This site is proof of the hardiness of chickens. One of mine had an atrocious tear under her wing, to the point that I could see inside her chest cavity. It is now 80% closed up, she lays an egg a day, free ranges, dust bathes, and is the first to come running for food! Literally, leaping through the air doing her best to fly! Being a massive Orpington, she rarely gets more than a few inches ground clearance, but she tries!

Never underestimate the power of a chicken to survive! They are hardy little things!

- Krista

The heat is a giant warning sign of infection. leaving well enough alone maybe an option but I have found that once an infection sets in it will not go away unless it is treated.
I want to stress that I am in no way an expert and am only offering my opinion
If it were me I would clip the feathers back and wash the wound with warm soapy water ( if you have an antibacterial soap it would be best, don't use a fancy scented or perfumed soap)
Try to get the scabby part to wash off until the wound opens and can drain.(Your girl will not like it) If your squeamish be warned it may be very yucky and even smell bad.
Once the wound is open flush it with plenty of water and apply pressure as your do to help the infection exit the wound.
Apply antibiotic ointment to the wound( As with the other post don't use one that has a pain reliever in it) Neosporin or any triple antibiotic will work it does not have to be meant for animals.
I would also recommend covering the wound with nonstick gauze and use vet wrap or Coban tape for people if you don't have vet wrap to keep it in place.

I am only recommending the action because if the wound is already up to the size of a golf ball the infection is growing
Your girl maybe ok now but if the infection keeps growing she will go down hill fast and you may not be able to stop it at that point.
I have had chickens with injuries like this in the past and this is how I treated them
I have never left it alone but I have had some that I did not discover until the hen went down with treatment it was 50/50 once that happened

She is your girl and you have to do what you feel is right for her and for you. No matter what direction you decide to take I hope your girl recovers and heals up.

You may not need another opinion here, but if it is firm or hard, it may be a tumor. If it is soft and squishy (which it does not look like in the picture,) it could be an abscess. This looks like some other tumors or lymphomas that chickens can get, and with a search at the top of the page, you probably can see pictures. I would only lance it if it was soft, and seemed full of pus.

With all you have been through with Fuzzy Bum, I'm sure you could handle anything!

Back
Top Bottom