Girls laying under roost!

Newchickenwoman

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2017
Peak District, UK
All four of my girls insist on laying under the roost, right in the poo! I keep their house clean and they have lots of bedding but even so,I'd much prefer them to lay in their nest boxes (which are spotless and have loads of soft bedding). However, so far they haven't shown any sign of interest in the nest boxes, though they like to inspect them when I clean the house :) I collect the eggs at least twice a day and I've bought some fake (rubber) eggs and put those in the nest boxes in the hope that they'll take the hint but no luck yet. Will they get the idea eventually do you think or is there something else I can do to encourage them to be more hygienic in their laying habits?!

This has happened to me before what i did was i got 30 fake eggs a put them in where I wanted them to lay there eggs they imminently started laying on the top.i even had one that became broody.

This has happened to me before what i did was i got 30 fake eggs a put them in where I wanted them to lay there eggs they imminently started laying on the top.i even had one that became broody.
Thanks for replying. I put the fake eggs in the nest boxes a few days ago but no luck yet - they're still laying under the roost!

Which side of the coop is darker?

If the boxes are to bright you may want to look into adding curtains.
Thanks for replying. It's a small hen house and the main part (with the roost) is brighter than the nest boxes because of the location of the pop-hole. You'd have thought they'd prefer laying in a nice clean, comfy nest box to a pile of poo!

I have two that lay out of the nesting boxes under the roosts. I put a nesting box there (I have cat litter pails so I can move them) with a fake egg and they laid next to it. I just add fresh bedding every morning to that one spot. The other 45 lay in the boxes.

I have two that lay out of the nesting boxes under the roosts. I put a nesting box there (I have cat litter pails so I can move them) with a fake egg and they laid next to it. I just add fresh bedding every morning to that one spot. The other 45 lay in the boxes.
Hmm, interesting ... so if I were to put a nest box under the roost, presumably it would need a lid so the poo couldn't land in it?

Back
Top Bottom