Giving my injured hen a buddy

Debs55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
In The Middle Of Nowhere GA
2 weeks ago one of my hens was badly attacked and I put her in "intensive care". She's doing good now and I've moved her to an outside pen but she is still seperated. She is begging to grow new feathers and does not have open wounds but still has scabs. I have another hen who's whole backside is raw and featherless that I've been spraying with blue kote. Could I put them together or would she pick at the injured hens new feathers and scabs?

just to be on the safe side i would not suggest putting them together. if you want them to have a pal though you could put them next to each other but on either side of a fence

I know chickens usually peck at everything they see, and if you put them together, and one sees something moving on the other chicken, such as the back of the chicken, it will peck. Not on purpose to hurt the chicken, but because they think it's food.
Just like Tongiechick said, it would be better to put them next to each other but on either side of a fence for now until they heal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom