Do you have goats?

• Total voters
Pics
20220925_183944.jpg
20220925_183645.jpg

Ty I rescued these 2 this last Friday. There owner died a year and a half ago and they have been running free with their only interaction being someone bringing water. The wether is sweet and old, he's a myatonic mix, massive compared to my other goats. The doe is the fattest pygmy goat I've ever seen, she's wild

Last edited:
Ty I rescued these 2 this last Friday. There owner died a year and a half ago and they have been running free in there with there only interaction being someone bringing water. The wether is sweet and old, he's a myatonic mix, massive compared to my other goats. The doe is the fattest pygmy goat I've ever seen, she's wild
Aww that’s sad but glad you rescued them!!

Hey goat people! What steps do you take when you have a sick goat? I woke up this morning and one of my girls is snotty but otherwise seems fine, she's eating and playing like normal, I don't feel a fever.
I call my vet, usually. But I also go to my goat forum and ask, like I do on BYC for my chickens. Goats can go downhill really fast.

But it depends on how sick they are, too. Scours? I might withhold grain and add probiotics for a bit to see if it clears up if it's not super serious. A snotty nose? I would take temp, check FAMACHA (because I'm always checking that for everything), clean her up, and see if she's got something else going on.

Is the discharge clear or opaque like mucus? Animals can get runny noses just like people. If it's clear, it can be from allergies or from an irritant. In those cases, I keep an eye on them but don't treat for anything.

A thick muscus-y discharge could be a cause for concern. Take her temperate with a thermometer. Can get them at many larger feed stores. This is something you should have on hand anyway. Many times, when you contact a vet, the first thing they'll ask is their temperature. Take a listen to her breathing. Does she have a wet cough? Is she wheezing or have a rattle to her breathing? These can be signs of a serious issue and I would contact the vet.

If she is eating and acting normal, I'm guessing it isn't serious. But keep an eye on her for any changes. If you feel the need to do something, you could offer some electrolytes to give her a little boost.

Is the discharge clear or opaque like mucus? Animals can get runny noses just like people. If it's clear, it can be from allergies or from an irritant. In those cases, I keep an eye on them but don't treat for anything.

A thick muscus-y discharge could be a cause for concern. Take her temperate with a thermometer. Can get them at many larger feed stores. This is something you should have on hand anyway. Many times, when you contact a vet, the first thing they'll ask is their temperature. Take a listen to her breathing. Does she have a wet cough? Is she wheezing or have a rattle to her breathing? These can be signs of a serious issue and I would contact the vet.

If she is eating and acting normal, I'm guessing it isn't serious. But keep an eye on her for any changes. If you feel the need to do something, you could offer some electrolytes to give her a little boost.
Ty for your response. It was thick white/yellow snot and her eye was crusted shut and gooey, it got much worse then she developed a cough and spread it to 3 other goats. I've been using a pinkeye treatment and an antibiotic and all of there eyes are cleared up and the snot is getting better. still a small cough.

I’m getting goats!!!! Just made a downpayment on them!!! Two registered toggenburg milkers I’m getting next month! The owners are throwing in a free breeding so we will have babies in March!!! :wee :celebrate :ya :ya :ya I feel like a kid on Christmas!!

On a more serious note, I have some questions. I’ve never owned goats, and so need to know exactly what I need and how to be prepared etc. I just ordered some cameras so we have those prepared for the birth of the babies, but that’s far off still, but I know it will be here sooner than we think. I need to know what types of feed are good, what kinds of hay should I get (I get grass mix for my horses and I have a good alfalfa source). I know I need goat minerals, what kinds do you use? What brand/kind of grain or food do you use? What do I need prepared for the birth of the kids? I know they usually do well on their own but I want to be prepared. I guess the one doe we are getting had triplets last year. Any tips for a soon to be goat owner much appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom