Going to be getting a horse soon; need advise on how to pick right...

Cari,
I think that there's somewhat of a reputation that abounds with Bask bred horses...partly due to the fact that he had so many progeny--game of numbers...but also I would say it depends on if they are line bred....like double or triple Bask bred..Bask himself was fiery but then many stallions are especially in Arabs and TB's...My experience was mixed...I had some that were bit more tuned in, smart and perhaps considered 'hotter' but they were the most athletic too. I have also had a few that were more relaxed. At teh end of the day it really depends on the individual horse and his history with training and handling..no matter the breed (-; I will say this...of all the many, many horses I have had, I never had even one of my Arabians go lame or have health issues in general.

I always thought it was the individual horse! There is a breeder up here that breeds arabians that have A LOT of bask in them and my trainer says she has worked with quite a few of them that are almost unmanageable, and very dangerous. I am taking her word for it! I saw one of the pedigrees and it has one or two basks in EVERY generation.
th.gif

Let us know how it goes! I saw her other horses and I really like her "super endurance" chestnut 5yr old mare. It's nice when you can look at multiple horses in one location. Makes comparisons easier.

Well I went out to her place (it was a REALLY long drive).

She doesn't ride and all the horses have been sitting with basically no work and no riding for over a year.

Moment was very nervous and anxious and hadn't been ridden in a year.

Initially I liked the way he moved, but upon closer scrutiny it seems he has some sort of issue with his back left leg.

All the other horses were "ok" as well, none super nice EXCEPT that 5 y/o mare super endurance horse. She was really pretty, but again hadn't been worked in a year and as the lady put it "hotter than a $2 pistol"...

So I passed on her horses. Will continue to look closer to me.

I might just end up using one of the ones we already have here for a while. :)

There are pos and cons of every horse breed. I have worked with or owned Arabs, Quarter Horses, thoroughbreds, Standarbreds, Walkers, Paints Halflingers, welsh and others. My horses now...all Paso Finos! I love being able to ride all day and not feel it the next. They can make good endurance horses and pasos have completed the tevis cup. But everyone has their own favorite and I think personality has alot to do with finding the right horse. I have my gelding now and I say I would sell my house before i sold him. He is very bonded with me and will take care of me when i ride.

Many types can be used for endurance. My friends did endurance and I just tagged along during their training. Lol. One friend had a big thickly built gray Arab. Another a Quarb. I had a Quarb and a thick Mustang. I enjoyed both my horses. My Quarb has a heart of gold, loves people, is trusting and sain, will go anywhere you point him and would go as far as you ask him, even if it was on three legs. My Mustang is a big lazy bumm with a rolling gait, but if you need her to go...she'll go. She started really enjoying the mock endurance rides we went on and people couldn't believe how easy going she was.
Pick a horse that suits you and speaks to you have a vet check out everything for soundness, and spend as much time before buying the horse to determine temperament...perhaps see if you can lease the horse before buying.

I just wanted to recomend a good book I read once, its called "Ride The Right Horse". It really helped me understand my horses personality and to recognize personalities of other horses I meet and ride. Also, when your reading ads that people write about their horse you can even pick out what personality that horse may have. For example if someone says: "Easy going, bomb proof" that horse is probably an aloof type. Or if they say: "Needs a more experienced rider" that horse may have a challenging personality. "Needs a confident rider" could mean a more fearfull type horse. "In your pocket" or "First to the gate to greet you" is usually a social horse. These are just examples and could mean other things but I think you get the picture. ;)

On a different note, when you said the owner hasn't ridden any horses in over a year and she called her 5yr old mare "hotter then a $2 pistol" That tells me the mare has not much training and probably needs way more handling to know what is expected of her. Being 5yrs and no work done in over a year... hmm... so say she was 3 1/2yrs old when her training stopped, she should be quite green still as you really shouldn't put miles on horses till their 3yrs because of growth plates still closing.

If your not prepared to train or re-train a horse your smart to move on. There are a lot of horses out there to choose from right now, I'm sure you will find your perfect horse. Just be patient!

Edited to add: Here is the link from amazon for the book. http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Right-Horse-Understanding-Personalities/dp/1580176623

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom