Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics

These are our new babies. We were suppose to be getting speckled sussex. Epic fail on the feed stores part. Our these friendly?
I wont keep a rooster any more. We were lucky to have had 1 rooster out of 9 that was sweet and gentle, the other ones all were man fighters. I wont keep a rooster around any more, therefore I no longer will have any GLW babies being hatched out. The hens, are better. However I have only had 1 out of 8 be gentle enough for us to hold, the rest want to beat us to death with their wings, or will run from us. The worst part is that they have all been handled by us since they came out of their eggs.

One of our roosters went to the folks across the road from us. The rooster is still there and now his son is there. I have to take a broom with me to go to the mail box, or end up losing pieces of flesh. However I was told that if you pick them up daily from the time they are babies, and continue to do so even after they are fully grown that they will be nice. Not so though with the one I sold to the neighbor, he was handled daily, right up until when he jumped some of us in the yard, and attacked us. However his brother, was like a puppy. We finally had to cull him though because he started killing baby chicks.

I don't know if it's a breed thing, or if we got duds originally from tractor supply, and they passed on the traits. However I no longer buy through tractor supply I had way to many issues with the chicks that we got. Which could be why the GLW's turned out that way.

This is my GLW Roo. he is about 10 months old. His girls are RIRs and they are expecting 11 (hopefully) little peepers. They are all going to be pets, not trying to be a backyard breeder.

Our GLW rooster (Urch line) has always been a perfect gentleman, no problems.

However, none of our Golden Laced particularly like to be handled. My daughter describes them as "flappy."

Yeah my youngest daughter became attached to one as a baby, and now she tells me all the time the hen hates her because it doesn't want her to hold it. They are a "flappy" bird. They do not like to be picked up once they reach maturity. I have one that we can still hold, and that is the older one that I got back from our neighbor, she is getting more healthy now. However I still am not sure if she is a 100% GLW, she is smaller then the other ones, and she lays almost pure white eggs. Where my other GLW hens are laying brown eggs.

Hi all. We have our first GLW (and our first SLW). Our GLW is almost 3 weeks old and is still very much black. There is the teeniest strip of gold in her wings running lengthwise along the length of her feathers. Should she have more color by now?? I ask because I've dug through photos online and see most looking as though they have more color. We bought her from Py Pet Chicken who I understand purchases from Meyer, so she is "just" hatchery quality. I am just hoping she is pretty as I think they are the most stunning bird.
Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Hi all. We have our first GLW (and our first SLW). Our GLW is almost 3 weeks old and is still very much black. There is the teeniest strip of gold in her wings running lengthwise along the length of her feathers. Should she have more color by now?? I ask because I've dug through photos online and see most looking as though they have more color. We bought her from Py Pet Chicken who I understand purchases from Meyer, so she is "just" hatchery quality. I am just hoping she is pretty as I think they are the most stunning bird.
Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Mine had a lot of black on them at about that age, Now if you are talking mostly about the GLW, yeah lots of black can be normal. I had one female that was black with the brown edging on her wings and the others have all been brown with the black. However as tiny chicks they all looked like calico babies.

Mine had a lot of black on them at about that age, Now if you are talking mostly about the GLW, yeah lots of black can be normal. I had one female that was black with the brown edging on her wings and the others have all been brown with the black. However as tiny chicks they all looked like calico babies.
Thank you! That makes me feel better then! Yes, when she was 3 days old she had a really clear pair of stripes down her back and a lighter colored chest area. She just seems to have almost blackened as her feathers have come in, but you are giving me hope that she will be a pretty thing in the end! She really is a pretty bird right now actually, but a pretty, black bird lol.
Thanks again for the reply!

Thank you! That makes me feel better then! Yes, when she was 3 days old she had a really clear pair of stripes down her back and a lighter colored chest area. She just seems to have almost blackened as her feathers have come in, but you are giving me hope that she will be a pretty thing in the end! She really is a pretty bird right now actually, but a pretty, black bird lol.
Thanks again for the reply!

My daughters little tag. We thought had been a part of the strange eggs I had, had sent to me. It was a barnyard mix rather then the golden comets that I ordered, so when we saw that baby we did some looking online, and believed it was a Sumatra baby. They are all black with a tiny bit of white on the chest. Later on the white went away and she turned jet black then all of a sudden the pattern started and she is all GLW. She looks like her mama now the brown with black. However though she takes her size after her dad because her mom is only 1/3 her size.

Back
Top Bottom