Goldilocks turned 16 years old today

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Happy birthday to my Goldilocks, She turned 16 today.
Goldi is my orpington/light sussex hen who was in my first ever chicken coop.
I purchased her from a beautiful lady called "Lucy" who lived on a farm and bred and showed chickens. She showed me the ropes and I will be forever grateful. Goldilocks is in fine form and I will send a pic when my camera gets back from a friend.
Is 16 a good age???

Yes, we would love some pics!!
Make sure you give here some extra treats!
smile.png

Miriam

Thanks, Yes I do spoil her, however She got very ill last year and was falling down and getting stuck next to fences and bushes. I panicked and thought she had some horrible illness or her body had given in to old age and I took her to vet to be euthanised.
The vet had a look at her on the table and said "no way, shes way too lovely" and showed me what caused her illness. It was "mite infestation"
The little suckers were taking the life out of her, so from then on I always check her and the other 5 for lice etc.
The rooster used to jump on poor goldy and I think he injured her back because one of her legs wouldnt work. It was terrible as she was falling down. Anyway I gave her some nice massages and she is much better and the roo has stopped hitting on her.
I serve her tidbits in an old plantpot which has soil to the rim so she doesnt have to bend down!!

I must add that I love this forum, I have MS and dont work anymore and I look forward to the replies, its like checking my mailbox out the front garden. I also Love my chookies dearly and Im proudly vegetarian!
Also Im on dial up so I usually disconnect to save money but I always check in each morning and night.
Im in Australia so It's 11.48 pm Mon Night here, time for sleep.

Happy Birthday to Goldilocks! And you are to be commended for the wonderful care you take of your birds.

I, too, love this forum. I'm on and off throughout the day just checking new posts. I live waay out in the country and there's nothing to do so BYC has become a lifeline for me. And here I can/do talk chickens and nobody gets tired of the subject.
lol.png

tea.gif

Way to go Goldilocks, I know she is well taken care of to make it to 16.

I think she sould get a special treat to celebrate all those wonderful years.

That is a truley awesome hen.

bigzio

Happy Birthday Goldilocks!!! Ya, I never knew they could live to be that old. You must take wonderful care of her!!

Happy Birthday Goldilocks! I got a hen to the age of 11, and I know of someone who had an 18 year old. Goldi is almost there!
I'm getting addicted to this forum also. I'll get in trouble at work if they ever monitored to see how often I check out the new posts!

Back
Top Bottom