Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
Sharpshooter takes out trouble turkeys in Philomath

07:30 AM PDT on Thursday, October 30, 2008

Associated Press

PHILOMATH, Ore. (AP) -- A half dozen wild turkeys that had been making pests of themselves were killed by a sharpshooting police officer armed with a silenced .22-caliber rifle.

Several turkeys sit atop a house in Philomath. Some residents want the birds gone.

The city of Philomath has a permit from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife to kill as many as 10 of the troublesome turkeys, and will continue its effort to shoot four more before January.

Background: Turkeys take over town

Turkey season is under way, and a hunter with tags could have taken the birds.

About 20 wild turkeys have been hanging around the west end of town because they were fed by some residents.

But others complained that the birds scratched or tore up landscaping and roofs, awakened residents with noises early in the morning and defecated on lawns and decks.

Ooh, that's an idea-hire a sharpshooter to take out all the roaming dog packs! Geez. People get so upset over a little bird poop, but they'll feed squirrels and ignore all their nasty little pellets and habits.

Honestly, turkeys poo a lot (and im sorry all you turkey lovers but it is gross- raised them myself and only had three and i know how gross it is) if people don't want them in their yard I think they have a right to complain. Whoever was feeding them should be fined, it takes away the birds natural instincts and makes them tame, while at the same time putting people esp children and pets at risk to toms that are up for a fight (experienced that as well). LOL

Turkeys do make great pets but people shouldnt be making pets out of wild animals (born in the wild animals).

I think that a game commission should have came in, netted the birds and relocated them far away miles from people....im sure it could ahve been done a lot easier than killing them.

the problem is that once ANY person feeds a wild turkey, the turkeys view all humans as lower than them.

this is why the law about NOT feeding wild life needs to be respected. it kills me when i see people feeding geese and whatnot and think it's SOOOO cute, but if that goose, or in this case turkeys, poop in THEIR yards, it's all different.

i do feel bad for people who suffer because of the negligence of others also.

it's a two edged argument with valid issues on both ends.

now the turkeys aren't being 'turkeys'.

I agree with removing them. It's just the method was a bit overkill.

I can only imagine the turkeys were so very superior in their ability to avoid capture that they just had to resort to a sharpshooter to deal with the problem.
roll.png

Quote:
I agree with your sarcasim completely...seems to me "some" in the law wanted to go early hunting/target practice......that should have been the last, and most far fetched resort they could have went to. Talk about taking the law into your own hands. I hope they atleast used the turkey meat....

I agree with your sarcasim completely

I love sarcasm. What sort of boring world would we have without it???

I agree that if you feed wild animals, you're pretty much asking for trouble, though I used to feed the birds and had a wild turkey at my feeder one winter. My nutty neighbor feeds raccoons and foxes and loves coyotes (she said she used to have one). Not good for my chickens a few hundred feet from her property, huh? I would relocate wild turkeys myself, rather than just kill them indiscriminately. I get they didnt use the meat, either.

this is just too nuts. i too agree, and forgot to add to my other post, that excuse the pun, that method used was OVERKILL.

i wonder if raising wild turkeys is legal in that state? they could've relocated to a willing farm!

wild turkeys being fed is just as dangerous as wild dogs,, the first problem is that, then they TEAR things up, rip antenna wires, and their poop carries diseases just like pigeons, and when they attack, it is WAY worse then a roo attack ,, then, come winter and people stop feeding them they die of starvation. noone ever complains when a troubled bear gets shot,, whats so different about WILD turkeys,,, cause their birds?
they should be dealt with just like any other wild animal.

Back
Top Bottom